Installation/booting issue

I have successfully installed Haiku on my old PC a few days ago and everything was working fine.
BUT …

I’ve tried installing it on my main machine today and I’ve stumbled upon issues.
Well … I did everything the same as last time … created a bootable USB using Etcher and tried installing on NVME drive first.
That failed completely as there was writing on the screen that said something like ''insert bootable media, or select the right one… ‘’ . So, I gave up on that and tried installing on regular SSD … which was successful, but I wasnćt able to boot, it was frozen on the Haiku welcome (loading) screen.

*It is important to note, that I have noticed differences upon installation compared to the previous one (on old PC).
When I was installing it from USB on old PC installer was asking if I’m gonna use CD or USB as install media in the beginning, which wasn’t the case this time + no matter how or how many times I formated drives, it still said ‘‘raw’’ at the end of drive name *

My configuration is:

Motherboard: Asrock B450M Steel Legend
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
GPU: Saphire Radeon PULSE RX 5500 XT

Is this EFI or MBR boot what you are trying to accomplish?

So install were completed, but after restart the computer was unable to boot Haiku.

Unsupported video card? VESA mode could help.

I can’t recall any prompt like this. After booting the install media Haiku should ask only if you want to install it or use it as live image.

Did you read the install guide ( MBR and EFI ) and followed it word-by-word?

Something must be terribly wrong if so many people have problems with installing Haiku. It is one of the easiest process, never experienced problem like this. I always just create a partition table, create a BFS partition, format them as BFS, makes it active, and it just works.
Can hw differences have any influence on this process? I have installed it on HDD, SSD, NVME, USB and never had to do anything differently.

OK, for EFI i had to create the necessary EFI partition and copy the required EFI file, but thats all. I think all of this covered nicely in the install guide.

I don’t know … I just burned it by default with Etcher, no settings were changed.
Like I said … I did everything the same way as on other PC.

Can you tell me more in detail about those changes you mentioned … what you did to have successful install on NVME ?

Thanks for reply :slight_smile:

Hmmm ok … Now it seems a bit clearer.
I will try manual EFI installation … it seems pretty much the same as installing Hackintosh (manually copying EFI loader dfrom install media) .

Probably (as you not answered the question) you have attempted EFI install and while it boots and installs on EFI machines, the EFI loader doesn’t gets installed automatically. The user are responsible to do it manually currently.

This can be the reason, why your attempt to install it onto your old computer was a success. The MBR bootloader gets installed automatically.

It would be really useful to read the release docs, the install guide and the user guide. The “this is unix, i know this” attitude doesn’t works well yet with Haiku.

1 Like

No problem now.
I have successfully installed it with copying EFI folder to NVME Drive … thank you for the help :slight_smile:

The “this is unix, i know this” attitude doesn’t works well yet with Haiku.

I love this line lol :rofl: :rofl:

This is just a less insultung way of saying rtfm.
Happy you got it working!

1 Like

Fine, but who reads manuals? :slight_smile:
Glad it worked in the end.

User reading manuals and watch tutorials get a much better User experience and more fun…
I try to ask on forum only if I got lost or am lazy…

Actually, I read manuals too, but a surprisingly large number of people don’t.

Good day,

Maybe because people see RTFM and think is an acronym of Run To Fetch Mother, instead of Read The F* Manual?

It’s true a large number of people don’t read manuals, I don’t some times too, though in the end I end up reading them… because, you know… in the end I need to know how to do thigns, and knowledge doesn’t come from the wind hitting on my brain :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: (yet)… :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Nonetheless, instead of running some whatever “first boot” walkthrough I rather have a “dialog” that says “check out first tour” or “checkout first boot setup” or whatever. I always hated Apple’s first boot walk through asking everything about me and how I would use the computer, and if I didn’t go through that I couldn’t use the mac… :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: No wonder I quitted using any apple stuff :wink:

The less invasive, the better. Give the user a choice, though don’t force the user. Count on user’s intelligence, and don’t treat users as sheep.

Regards,
RR

1 Like

It’s Read The Fancy Manual. Or Read The Fantastic Manual. Or any other non-offensive word, there are many choices!

But I like the “I know this!” quote better, and I have this as my desktop background:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MovieDetails/comments/89p4n4/in_jurassic_park_the_infamous_its_a_unix_system_i/

3 Likes

Isn’t * the wildcard character therefore F* covers your “proposals”? Just like ls F* ?:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Regards,
RR