Install BeOS Thinkpad T42p

I have not had any luck with the graphics drivers. I did get sound working using the ich_ac97_1.7 that I got from PulkoMandy’s website. I did get usb drivers working, but that made it so usb mice wouldn’t work. So I uninstalled that and just use Haiku to move files from USB drives.

I did use diskprobe, found what I believe is the correct id, and changed it to the device id 0x45e4 or something like that. changed the number listed that had %'s in it to the device id obtained from Haiku device manager. It did not seem to function. I don’t think I really am able to do this without instruction. What am I missing?

What did you do to install the video driver(s)? I’ll look at my BeOS setup here. For mine, I remember I had to move an accelerant or two that is part of the driver, to a particular folder before it worked.

I’ll check to see where I moved them when I can get to the computer. I moved the driver to one folder, and accelerant to another. There were two documents titles “copy Radeon here”, “copy accelerant here”. I opened them and got the path from there. Do you have a fire gl t2?

No unfortunately, it’s an ATI Mobility Radeon 7500. But it could be a case of having an accelerant or other file in the wrong folder. It was a little bit of a challenge with mine, turned out I had a file in the wrong folder. Same with a DFI Core2 motherboard BeOS-build I did a few years ago. Accelerant placed in the wrong folder. That, or I forgot to make a link to one of the files.

Thinkpad T42/T42P comes with one of radeon 7500, 9000 or 9600. Which one do you have?

The 9600 is actually a low end R300 card, the other two are older and quite different I believe. At least under Linux the mesa radeon driver does not work on the 9000/9200/7500 but will work with 9550 and 9600 etc. See https://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature/. May be some cause of driver incompatiblity?

I’ll try to find some time to install beos on my T42 (it has a 9600) and see if I can get graphics to work. At present it only has debian.

I guess BeOS install means burning an actual CD, it can’t be installed from USB? Haven’t done it in about 15-20 years, except on a VM, so can’t remember!

Hmm it seems the T42P has a different (less common) GPU, similar to the 9600. So yeah sounds like it probably needs PCI IDs to be edited? Not sure

Yeah, it’s based of the 9600. I attempted to edit the device id, but not sure if I did it correctly.

I burned a CD, and used with 1GB of ram. I think I used Nero burning software. Can’t remember if I had problems with other burning software.

The Radeon 5.1.6.4 driver worked. I cannot set the resolution to native 1400x1050, but I may try ProposeMode utility. Thanks kp3ft for your help.

Using the ipro1000 driver worked for ethernet. I am now pretty impressed. 95% of stuff works on this laptop.