Inovation in file management and data display

I came across this article…

https://www.osnews.com/story/133994/students-dont-know-what-files-and-folders-are-professors-say/

…and I wonder if we are really just missing inovation in the file management and data display. I am sure new generations would appreciate file management more if this process would be more relevant for their work in (semi)abundance of storage space and (semi)scarcity of focus+overview. What do you think should be the way to address these issues?

It’s really down to education. My six year old son owns a Raspberry Pi 400, he’s growing up with Linux and he definitely knows his way around files and folders.

The problem is that people don’t own (real) computers anymore. A chromebook is not a real computer, neither is a smartphone.

Thing is, it’s not that much different from when I was young. When I was at primary school, teachers used to collect me from the classroom because they had a problem with their computer. I always wondered why everyone thought it was so difficult, but later on I realized that I’m the exception.

I think 95% of the people just aren’t interested in computers and by throwing smartphones, tablets, chromebooks and Windows 11 Simple Edition at them, they’ll never need to be interested in them.

6 Likes

For work use, I haven’t encountered a case that doesn’t require some sort of file management. For personal use, if the person is non-tech-savy or don’t archive stuff, they just do not bother.

Ironically BeOS was precursor on the ideas of searchable disappearing filesystems…

2 Likes

Are there any decent native content-searching tools (ie, indexed content) for Haiku? I’d love to see content indexing a la MacOS as a built in option, and the tracker extended with management and searching of metadata (tags etc) and content. I’ve seen TrackerGrep and heard about a TextSearch extension, but these seem like less-than-ideal afterthoughts. (Haiku’s existing built in search is still better than Win 10 search!)

We have an index server in the source tree, but I have no idea how far it has been completed.

2 Likes