[idea] load package from directory

Dear Folks

AFAIK haiku load packages file from /system/packages …
can we load package from its subfolder…
let say i have folders /system/packages/office and office apps package and dependencies place there.
and other folder /system/packages/game and game package and dependencies place there…
planning is… can switch mode lets say i want to do office work and with lets say boot switch it load only from office subdirectory…
becase when i install a LOT of package… it will be longer to boot… i dont know it will usefull or not.
it will similiar with porteus linux cheat code .

forgive me if this is a bad idea…

This make no sense because you get packages with dependencies again amd again. In the current way you get any package one time.

…how about if base package place on top directory /system/packages? or /system/packages/base?

Why a folder deeper as packages? The administrative folder in packages with the recover packages, if you want to start a older version of haiku, after problems past an update, make the system slow.

A known problem.

No, this is a system directory, stataes can’t be subpartitioned into arbitrary categories.

We already allow installing packages into different dirs at the same time ( /system vs /boot/home/config), so you can add packages at will if you want without having them in the default state, the only thing missing would be a good UI to manage that, but that just aswell be a third party package.

This assertion is wrong afaik , Technically resolving deps could take slightly longer, but “installation” is basically instant. If your boot takes too long it’s probably not this (and if it is it might be a bug)

Really? A gui like this should be a part of haiku himself, because of security conditions.

What security? I don’t see how mounting packages somewhere is a security concern, especially since e.g haikuporter already does this

has something to do with feelings when using it. if it is something that comes from the system, most users assume that it is safe.

Ah… thanks for your clarification…

…maybe need a kind of benchmark to prove it…