I still can't get Haiku to work on Mac

I’m running a 2011 17 inch MacBook Pro. I had all sorts of issues trying to get the beta to work on it, including kernel panics occasioned by the Broadcom driver. I blacklisted that, panic. Blacklisted the next thing, panic. Then I abandoned the attempt, because I was frustrated enough to hurl the computer against a wall, which wouldn’t have been good for the wall, or the computer.

Anyway, I tried the latest nightly to see if anything’s been fixed. It’s still throwing panics, but different ones this time. Looks like the network thing was fixed. IMG_20190223_2306348

Can anyone help me get to a functioning desktop? At this point, I don’t give a damn if the keyboard doesn’t light up, or if there is no network support at all. I just want to install it on this computer (I’ve been running it on a Thinkpad with good indications)

I’m running natively on MBP 11.3 (mid2014).

1. try Haiku x64 nightly on USB2 memory stick. This avoids XHCI transmission errors. Use EFI boot.
  2. install bootcamp/windows, which updates EFI with legacy BIOS. Try booting from USB2 stick again after selecting legacy Windows disk icon on powerup. This should work since it uses legacy BIOS.

This appears to be the same as this bug: https://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/13189

See if disabling SMP in the bootloader helps at all.

Tried it and it does this:15510309500985536587351291035751

I’m already using the x64 nightly on efi boot. I have rEFInd, which provides a “Boot legacy OS” option, but if I try it, all I get is a white flashing rectangle on a black screen.

Ah, now that’s much more useful! Please attach that image to the same ticket, it is almost certainly related.

Quoting Ingo from https://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/10249#comment:43

You could do a page 0x82cec8e4 and then a cache _cache . If that prints an area, area ... with the area ID as argument, or if it prints a vnode, vnode -p ... with the vnode pointer as argument.

I’m afraid unless you have PAGE_ALLOCATION_TRACING , PAGE_STATE_TRACING , and/or VM_CACHE_TRACING (level 2) enabled, there’s no way to track this further, though.

comment:44

0x82cec8e4 should be replaced with what you see in KDL apparently.

It’s just a regular DOS type cursor.

Sorry I’m late in replying to this thread. I actually did get my 15.6” 2011 MBP running Haiku, but I had done so through a disk swap and MBR boot. I did not have sound, wireless, or any backlighting control for both the keyboard and display, however. And the display was stuck with certain resolutions only. But I hadn’t run into the KDL problems, thankfully.

What happens if you boot from a MBR disk with just Haiku (which should force the Mac to boot in CSM)?