I have a question for the community workers:

I have a question for the community workers: we are a group of Haiku fans from China. Can you clone the official website of Haiku and put it on Github and translate it into Chinese? Is there a copyright issue with that?

Attach the project address: https://haiku-chinese.github.io/

3 Likes

Hello there! The Haiku website uses Hugo, a website generator, which if I recall correctly supports multilingual translations. So, we could enable multilingual translations and connect the website to a web translation app like Weblate or Pootle - that way we can have the website in different languages. That will be a lot of work though, but it’s not impossible.

4 Likes

This is something I can contribute to (initial translation effort can be done in a separate branch), but if we go that route, my feeling is the website organization could be improved/simplified first.

Translating pages, menus, etc… will not be an issue.

On the other hand, I am not too sure that translating blog posts and articles makes sense unless hugo allows automatic fallback to the original english language publication. If not we may endup with the news/publications sections quite empty for some languages.

4 Likes

I think we have in the past discussed how to “slim down” the website; that is, moving a lot of the developer guides into the tree, and moving whatever user documentation there is still there into the Userguide Translator, so it would be picked up that way.

Translating the rest of the site is possible but will require some work on the Hugo side, yes. I never found the time to look at it before, but probably it should go on my TODO list now…

4 Likes

We can probably start with the basics first (i.e. menus, front page, general project information pages and download information).

If I have time I can have a go at setting up translation on the site - it’s basically creating some new files etc. so I’ll see how it goes.

1 Like

Yeah, that makes sense.And I think we need to work together to build a Haiku community

Okay,Can we take part in the Chinese translation?

1 Like

This is something I can contribute too.
I think it necessary to do such a thing. Translation is more than just translation. This represents the huge community behind it. If you want to build a community, it needs pioneers like us

1 Like

Well, we have yet to set the translation feature up, but once we do we will definitely let you know!

In the mean time, perhaps you would be interested in translating our User Guide and Haiku’s User Interface into Chinese? There is some info about that here:
https://dev.haiku-os.org/wiki/i18n/GUI-Localization
https://dev.haiku-os.org/wiki/i18n
https://dev.haiku-os.org/wiki/i18n/zh_CN/Info

1 Like

Okay,thinks for you advice!

1 Like

Indeed, haiku is special. But as Haiku, it’s not just translating the official website. We want to redevelop the Chinese community. As one fifth of the world’s population, elegant open source developers and communities from China have made great contributions to haiku. Communities can package applications involving Chinese software ecology. Make a Chinese voice for haiku community, but with the continuous development of open source in China. Haiku’s Chinese community is getting worse and worse. The valid message of Chinese mailing list from 2015 to 2021 is to detect whether there are people in haiku’s Chinese group or request the support of traditional Chinese. GitHub above about haiku CN’s warehouse is 16-17 years… As the largest Chinese search engine, Baidu has only a small amount of haiku’s fur information. As above, I would like to apply to participate in the construction of Chinese community in China. Let the Chinese appreciate this beautiful open source system. Therefore, we once again appeal to the community to participate in the construction of Chinese community.Don’t you think so?
thanks

1 Like

ps: 2016-2017

You’re more than welcome to build the Chinese community for Haiku. There is a special section on the forums for posts in languages other than English, and anyone can post there in another language. For Chinese language posts, we request that you add “ZH:” to the front of each post in Chinese.

If you know anyone who may be interested in Haiku, you’re more than welcome to invite them to try the operating system out and chat either in the abovementioned section of the forums or in the mailing lists. If there is enough interest you can also create an IRC channel or a discussion group on another social media group. We’d be more than happy to put links to an IRC channel/discussion group on our website with all the other channels/groups!

1 Like

Thank you. I learned a lot😀

1 Like

Do you know about https://haiku-cn.github.io? It is pretty dead at this point it appears, but they have a lot translated (including most of the “Learning to Program with Haiku” series!). Perhaps it might be useful…

Is Matrix or IRC used much in China these days? (Or some other chat platform that could bridge to them?) Outside of the forums or mailing list, we do a lot of discussion (and especially answering questions and pointing people to resources) via chat.

1 Like

Well, that’s a pity. I remember a platform similar to quora in China called Zhihu

Many people mentioned that haiku community in China would mention that haiku cn is no longer updated,

We intend to build a new community, persist in translating what haiku CN has not translated, and unite the community. The open source communities of matrix and IRC in China do not have a high sense of existence compared with telegram and other software. For example, the software communication group of an Android simulator of Linux is on QQ, an instant messaging software. In fact, these communities are very active, and many questions can be answered above

i am from china,请问,现在建设好没有?