I decided to go away from forum

If we look at the title of the article correctly, then it only means that he will avoid the forum in the future, not that he will stop.

:wink:

2 Likes

I get that, but more explicit confirmation that X512 will continue contributing is still better than not having it at all.

5 Likes

Maybe he could post monthly updates on the Haiku blog, that’d be pretty good as we can all continue to keep up to date with his progress.

2 Likes

Even if i did not expect different outcome next time, mail would be timed better then. It looks like situation was calm by the time mail was sent. Why add to the dying-out fire?

AFAIK It was suggested before, i think PulkoMandy mentioned that it was. I did not write anything about it being tried or not. If it was suggested, did not help and situation escalated, then direct messaging did not work (whether it was actually tried or not).
I doubt direct messages in a “fight” situation (so beyond an argument/heated discussion) would work anyway, and would also not help 3rd party to calm things down.

But it was not part of the text of the mail.

“your” as in “project’s”, because you’re part of the project. Sorry, i should have been more clear there.

To me it looks like the “yelling and threats” are not about changing communication channel, but about the conflict and possible lack of understanding (on both sides?).

Which one? The over-dramatizing one, the one who enforces his changes against others or the one who sends cold, threatening mail after everything calmed down already ;D?

Also, as far as i know, this is not work (for everyone except a single person). This is a hobby project, that is in need of developers.

That’s good news indeed, glad to hear that. Maybe we should close this thread then.

5 Likes

It took some time to discuss this in the moderation team, decide if we want to send a message, and what to put in the message. As we are in several timezones, it is very usual for such things to take a few days.

There is no fight except people making useless drama on the forum. Please stop making things up. There was some disagreement between developers as it happens all the time, and the issue there was quickly solved by discussing things on the right place (in the Gerrit change review and then by creating a ticket). You can see if you look there that several developers (including myself) actually agree with X512 that the change was not the best way to go, and as a result, a ticket was created to make follow up change. In fact I was planning to work on it and do the better version of the fix, but instead I now have spent two weekends mostly answering to people on the forum instead, and not being motivated to work on Haiku things.

There is no problem in the development team and the discussions happening there are very productive and we are happy to have X512 in the team. There is no fight between anyone there. Only between forum users who are blowing things out of proportion and overreacting.

Personally I sure hope that if I do something wrong, the other members of the team will be very clear and explicit like this when they warn me that I am crossing a line and it results in counter productive effects. Sure, it is not nice to hear that, but it is the right thing to do in the long term. In fact, after discussing this with X512 and other members of the team, my behavior could have been better and here are some things I will try to change:

• Try to keep a more respectful tone in the forum. I have said that people behave like children and that was not very well received. I made this comment because I was a bit annoyed at the behavior of other developers but it was not the best way to handle the situation.
  • I mentionned in a forum post the reasons why X512 did not yet receive commit access. These had been discussed privately with the development team, we usually have a short discussion like this before starting the official process because it’s embarrassing to send an email asking i someone should get public access, only to have several people explain why that shouldn’t be done (it happened in the past to some members of the development team, including waddlesplash). However, this new way of doing things results in no feedback to the person in question, which I had not considered before. So, next time there is such a discussion, we will make sure to notify the possible future committer of what they need to improve if they want to become part of the development team.
16 Likes

We’ll have to agree to disagree.

There is no practical difference, when it comes to atmosphere.
I don’t want to wonder “if I disagree with this person, will I have to deal with an angry mob that can’t be reasoned with?” when I have something to say. This has happened for me a few times now.
So yes, pushing changes in spite of disagreement is not good, but going public without trying to resolve an issue quietly is way worse. Don’t make them seem as if they’re the same.

BTW. It’s great that things finally seem to be going in the right direction.

8 Likes

I’m not, i just think that no one creates drama (except of specific type of personality, which i don’t think anyone here is) if everything is OK. Again: this is observation from the outside, which certainly misses some information.

Yes, i saw that and thought that you acted as a 3rd party to calm things down, which was great.

They’re not the same, one is a cause of another. And it wasn’t the first time this happened AFAIK.

I don’t think it’s an “angry mob” situation. No one endangers anyone else here. It’s a public discussion based on available information. Not good, but also not as bad as you make it seem.

If every developer uses different tools for communication they will not communicate. Will be like a Twitter post that no one reads…

So when I disagree with a coworker I tell a news channel about that?

For the ease to communicated we have a set of ways to do that. So if you like to reach another developer you need to use the same tool as other developer not the easiest for me to use… Would be nice to speak in Swedish but not many will know what I’m talking about :wink:

Nothing are hidden (not what I know of)
Here are all the logs for both Mail and IRC…

haiku-development Mailing List Archive (freelists.org)

#haiku on 2021-11-08 — irc logs at whitequark.org

3 Likes

What matters is not how you read and understand, but how you respond.

11 Likes

I agree with you!!!

I think the reasons that X512 got a written warning should be disputed strongly.

What exactly should people talk on a forum and what should be censored?

This forum is not a company profile neither a private project that people will contribute for free and then kicked out because someone is unhappy or offended…or is it a private project like a members club?

Only as an example, Linux is almost the same age as haiku, they started the development 1991, 30 years ago. OpenBeos started on 2002, almost 20 years now and we are still stalling on beta…
what reputation we are talking about, developers, developers, developers, are we there?

Think again openbeos!

2 Likes

why reignite this discussion when everything has been said and clarified?

5 Likes

Yes. Everything - and more - has been said. The parties directly involved appear to have settled the matter and are in fact actively working together on Haiku.

15 Likes