HttpShout 0.1: Postman-style HTTP request application using the Preview of the new HTTP Network Services Kit

As part of Haiku R1 Beta 4, there is a Preview of the HTTP Network Services Kit. As part of trying to use it in practise, I have been working on a Postman-inspired, simple app to run HTTP request using the new network kit. The primary goal is to have a tool to interactively test the implementation of the new library. Therefore, the aim for this application to support all the features that the underlying API supports.

A compiled version of HttpShout 0.1 can be downloaded for 32-bit (x86) and 64-bit (x86_64). The binaries are released under the Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0) license. I may release the source in the future, though it is more of an internal project rather than a good example of the use of then Preview of the HTTP Network Services Kit.

Any feedback is welcome, including feedback on URLs/websites that do not work, though I expect that most feature requests will be added to the ‘someday’ list.

Features

• Perform HTTP GET requests
  • Add custom HTTP header fields
  • Configure whether to follow redirects
  • View the response header fields, the body and a debug log

To Do

• Add support for adding a request body
  • Support basic authentication
  • URL Request parameters
  • Other HTTP request methods (like POST, PUT, DELETE etc).
  • Save the response body to a file
9 Likes

Why closed source and too restrictive binary license?

2 Likes

Hi, why not release the source, so other (aspiring) devs can learn from it and add extra features themselves?

Here’s a screenshot of the current application.

@X512 @Akakor I might change my mind about the licensing and about the availability of the source later, but right now it is not at the quality that I feel is responsible to share.

4 Likes

Nice one - I use Insomnia on other platforms having ditched Postman after it constantly nagging me to upgrade. It’s always surprised me there’s not a good OS program around (other than Curl of course, which I suspect they all use). Nice to see this being built on the new library.