HP ProBook 450 G3 (i5-6200) - USB?

Has anybody successfully booted Haiku from USB on a ProBook 450 G3 with i5-6200 CPU?

The BIOS is set for Legacy Mode and the USB Boot Option is enabled. However, the Boot Menu does not recognize/ or show the Haiku USB Drive (R1-Alpha 4.1) in connected to one of the two USB 2.0 ports.

The notebook has an optical drive and I tried an old R1-Alpha3 CD-ROM. It boots all right but for my trick of booting in safe mode to ensure the mouse/trackpad “works” does not work with this system. And a funny thing, the power to the USB 2.0 ports (to one of which a USB Mouse is connected) seems to be cut-off after booting.

I am deeply puzzled by this behavior and on-line searches have only given useless links (about Windows 7).

Just wondering…

Following-up on my initial observations with this system.

On notebooks, I have frequently encountered issues with the trackpad and USB mouse when booting either Haiku R1-Alpha 3 LiveCD or Haiku R1-Alpha 4.1 USB Image. The pointer simply stays in original position in the middle of the screen. No issues are observed when booting in Safe Mode and I now simply go straight to this approach. Maybe this does not occur with recent nightlies - I should try this one day…

On the HP ProBook 450 G3, the optical drive (with a disc in the drive) does quite a number of seeks even before being allowed to select the Legacy CD/DVD Boot Option. I never observed this before - it is like if the BIOS is attempting to verify the validity of the content of the disc first.

Booting in Safe Mode, there is power to the USB Mouse up to the time that Tracker has completed its “initialization”. After that, the power is simply turned off (Laser diode is off!). However, the trackpad is active so that the system can still be used. This could be a quirk specific to this system allowing only one pointing device can be active at one time. I am used to ThinkPads for which USB Mouse, TrackPoint, and TrackPad can be active concurrently.

My next step will be to see if Haiku booted from the LiveCD will recognize the presence of a connected USB Hard Drive and/or the existence of an attached Haiku bootable USB Flash Drive.

Why bother you may wonder?

Well, I like to take a peek at the inwards of the system before its first Windows boot. In the case of a Windows 7 system, I tend to copy the multilingual Recovery Partition to a back-up drive in case the selection of the language is irreversible and becomes “engraved” into the Recovery Partition it-self.

Oh, by-the-way, the NTFS sub-system misinterpret the time stamps by reporting files and folders as being created on December 28th, 1901 14:13! The reported modified time stamps appear to be correct.

You should try a nightly build. There have been 6 years of fixes since alpha 4.1.

And if there still are problems, the proper place to report them is the bugtracker, not the forum.

1 Like