How to terminate a freezing program on haiku?

Sounds like we need an easy to find, centralized, place where to log/document possible differences with BeOS/POSIX/etc. in our docs.

Sadly, that requires people to actually know there’s a difference, and the ones that are already aware of the diffs, have, generally, little incentive to write said docs :-/

Edit: for those interested… link to the “kill by name” patch here.

1 Like

So they accepted that.
I remember a holy war about kill by name; opposite side were abode in pure UNIX-way, but I think that in name of “one program must do one thing” they forgot “and do that good”.

Yepp , it works until the freeze does not reach some Haiku services…
then you have to turn to
Process Monitor { launch with pressing [CTRL] + [ALT] + [DEL]
buttons altogether }

Team_or_Process_Monitor__Haiku_program__Explained

just as above in my screenshot

1.)
select the appropriate program/process from the list

and you have
2 buttons

2.)
one to STOP a program - honestly it had never worked for me when I REALLY wanted to eliminate a freezing program

3.)
one to KILL a program - it is really working to eliminate them
IF NOT , then Haiku also frozen …

partly - then you can use
4.)
‘Force Reboot’
(the button at bottom)

After Haiku is up I suggest to use
checkfs -c /boot to check BFS fs health
with -c option it just checks
without -c executes corrections

and at full Haiku freeze
you have only Power Switch - especially if it is not a Haiku in a VM :sunglasses:

In Terminal experienced
with kill -9 app
nothing had happened. This way I offer the Team/Process Monitor
In terminal - in Haiku - it is not so brute force then on Linux/UNIX, I mean there I got some error message , if the execution of a terminate command failed, but never that the command issued but no result, does not happens anything … the appropriate process runs longer.
Of course there were orphaned processes, but they could be eliminated by techniques to free up resources they used.

Anyway - now you can select and decide to use any GUI or terminal command possibilities.

“2.)” is working with Deskbar and Tracker! You need it when changing your Deskbar-Font or Tracker-Font :innocent:

If all freeze you have to press the powerbar of your PC until it shut down!