How do you use Haiku?

Just tried that - thanks! However, I can see links to the QT Designer, Helper, etc, but no link to QT Creator. Perhaps that doesn’t work on Haiku yet…

Edit: it’s here, but it looks like a lot of work: https://github.com/qtproject/qt-creator

You are right dwt. I was confused with the QtDesigner. Sorry! :sweat:

Oops, same here

No probs! After looking at the Github repository for QtCreator it seems like it’d be a lot of work to get that working in Haiku - you’d need to port QtWebEngine and LLVM and I assume somehow connect gdb on Haiku…

@PulkoMandy, @humdinger, do you think this would be a good idea for contract work at some point in the future? Getting an IDE like QtCreator working on Haiku would be a big plus.

QtCreator screenshots:

9 Likes

QupZilla works fine on the forum for me. I’ve only found one site recently that required me to go into Firefox on Ubuntu [never Windows!] True, though, that WebPositive often fails me.

Umm…ArtPaint?:slight_smile: The 'Colour reducer" add-on does that for me quite nicely. Have to come clean, though and admit that it was omitted from the distribution until now (2.1.2)

This is so very, very impressive. Thank you for sharing!

Haha :slight_smile:

No haiku, beos.,zeta app can reduce the colors of a picture to the minimum needed colors.

That would be a question for the Haiku Inc. guys.
If there were someone submitting such a contract proposal, they’d have to decide if it’s worthwile to spend money on it rather than on developing the OS itself. I see the appeal of a nice IDE (I don’t know any IDEs…), but it’d also be a sign WRT native vs. ported software etc.

That said, anyone can start a kickstarter etc. to see such contract work. But they’ll soon realize how difficult this will be; from doing the PR and finding trustworthy developers to judging their progress and quality of code.
That’s why Haiku Inc. grants contracts only to known Haiku devs and preferrably supports “open” contracts, i.e. not too specific to one narrow goal.

If anyone wants to discuss any of this further, I suggest opening a new thread. Prepare for a flame fest… :slight_smile:

I don’t think Haiku, inc would want to fund porting of non-native apps, indeed. And as shown in the screenshots, it already runs anyway :slight_smile:

Being myself a vim user, I don’t feel the need for an IDE. I also discussed this with some other devs, and they did not like the idea of “integrated” in IDE much. When you think about it, it goes somewhat against what I mentionned above: the strength of Haiku is the ability to combine small apps, GUI or CLI, and build your own workflow.

An application that goes a little in this direction in the application development area is Paladin. It is just a project manager, and relies on an external editor to edit the files, and on a makefile to build them. There is more work to do, for example we should get DontWorry / BeHappy working on Haiku again for easy access to the API documentation (Qt-Assistant like). We should also investigate porting YouCompleteMe or some other similar engine that would provide intelligent code completion in text editors - maybe as a generic input method. And, we should work on that “session” thing to allow you to save all the windows of your project, from these 3 or 4 different apps, in a single project file that you can easily reopen later. And let’s add the Aukland Layout Editor for GUI design, maybe.

Well, at least this is my vision of things, and QtCreator does not fit in very well, being a monolithic app. You can see they are aware of the problem, as for example they have a “vim” mode in their editor (which didn’t come anywhere close to the real thing last time I tried it - but that was a few years ago).

Building a workflow with small applications means it is easy to replace or update just one of them at a time, allowing for more competition. When there is one big app doing everything, suddenly, all competitors must re-implement all of its features, and cannot replace just one small part of it, even if they do it 100 times better.

1 Like

I agree with most of your points, and it makes sense that a number of small apps can be combined in the “Haiku way” to make a development environment.

However, I think that the Paladin/Pe combo (which I try and use) is missing:

1. As @humdinger mentioned, syntax hilighting. Language based syntax hilighting is relatively trivial. However, I don’t know how the Pe/Paladin combo would be able to offer hilighting based on other files/classes in the project as somehow it would need to be able to talk to Paladin/whatever process is generating an AST of the files and storing/retrieving it on disk.

2. Debugging support. I’ve been spolit with Visual Studio and IntelliJ; I can sprinkle breakpoints inside the code and when execution hits that point I can check locals, watches, stacks, and change the “run from” point. I would dearly love to see the same support if the Debugger could be wired up to Paladin/Pe so I could double click a line inside the Debugger when it hits a breakpoint and see it inside Pe. Of course, this would require modifications to Pe to allow me to add breakpoints.

Please note that if this is already supported, and I’ve missed it, then I apologise and please point me in the right direction!

My main thought process here is making life as easy as possible for developers to adopt to Haiku. If someone with a few hours a week can spin up a development environment, hop line by line through code they’ve written to see where things don’t work and fix it, then I believe we will make more headway in solving Haiku’s issues.

(Again, my $0.02)

You cannot set the breakpoints in the editor, but you can when running your debug build with Debugger. It’ll save those breakpoints etc. and they’ll again be available with your next build interation.
Double-clicking on a line in Debugger opens the source file in your editor.
Have a look at the Debugger docs.

we’ve got LLVM/Clang, but only v3.8 and this requires v3.9, gdb we already have and QTWEbEbgine could be abstracted from Qupzilla?

Just out of interest, I grabbed the source to see how a quick-and-dirty compile would go. It gets a long way, but crashes when it tries to compile its sqlite module. Still, we’ll see what 3Deyes comes up with.

14 posts were merged into an existing topic: What about ArtPaint?

The situation with QWebEngine:

In Qt 4.x days, Qt used QtWebKit, which is a port of WebKit to the Qt infrastructure. In Qt5, they switched to QWebEngine, which is based on Google’s Blink (the engine running Chrome) instead.

QtWebKit is still maintained on a 3rd party github fork (not by us!), but applications are switching to QWebEngine one after the other, which means we will have to port that as well.

6 posts were split to a new topic: A GUI for ImageMagick

I want to use Haiku as my daily driver but the biggest hurdle is Web+, it’s such as crashy piece of software, particularly on pages with video (I’m looking at you, youtube). A word processor would be nice but google docs works OK, if I can keep the thing from crashing.

Qupzilla?

I feel ya, an office suite is needed but I heard somewhere that work on porting LibreOffice was happening.

I’d say Calligra is a better option since there’s been so much work making the QT port look like Haiku.

LibreOffice is an absolute behemoth to port over.

http://haiku.kacperkasper.pl/libreoffice.html

4 Likes