How Do I Connect to Ethernet?

Since this is not a bug tracker, you need to create a ticket for that issue and attach syslog there.

KERN: [3com] (xl) bus_alloc_resource(3, [20], 0x0, 0xffffffff, 0x1,0x2)
KERN: [3com] (xl) using memory mapped I/O
KERN: [3com] (xl) bus_alloc_resource(3, [24], 0x0, 0xffffffff, 0x1,0x2)
KERN: [3com] (xl) bus_alloc_resource(1, [0], 0x0, 0xffffffff, 0x1,0x6)
KERN: [3com] 3com: /dev/net/3com/0
KERN: [3com] (xl) reset didn't complete
KERN: [3com] (xl) eeprom failed to come ready
KERN: [3com] (xl) failed to read station address
1 Like

Yes, of course. I let that detail slip. Thanks.

If there is a problem with Haiku and your ethernet card, you might be able to try a USB ethernet adapter.

This particular laptops usb port is 1.0 … to my knowledge there is no usb 1.0 ethernet.

Newer USB devices will often work on slower buses; of course, at the slower speeds.

I don’t have a usb 2+ device that will work on that port, despite having several USB 2, 3 devices. I do have some USB 1.0 sticks that DO work though.

USB ethernet adapters are not supported by Haiku’s FreeBSD compat layer.

But we do have native drivers, for ASIX and Davicom chips.

2 Likes

Thanks, I might see if I can find an old 32-bit compatible ASIX or Davicom PCMCIA Card. I just find it kind of Bizarre that the default ethernet connection didnt work with Haiku.

ASIX USB ethernet adapters are under $5 on ebay if you aren’t in a hurry. Note if the below adapters don’t work thier ID’s may need to be added to the driver… though they should have a compatible ASIX chip.

Note Pulkomandy was revering to USB Ethernet drivers… not PCMICA. USB 2 devices usually work fine in a Usb 1/1.1 port.

2 Likes

Thank you very much for this tip. I have bought a USB network adapter with Realtek 8152B Chip.
It works instantly without any problems!
Previously I had 2 other USB to ethernet adapter (usb_asix and pegasus) which do not work. So I am very happy that this one works.
It is shown as usb_ecm.
I had searched for the chip on ebay. It comes from China. Takes some weeks to arrive and cost near to nothing.

322899272935_1

1 Like

You should report the USB ID’s of your non working ASIX adapter… it should work if the ID’s are in the driver.

Where do I find the USB ID? Searched Devices without success. Do you know the bug no. where I can report that?

Run listusb from the terminal to list the connected usb devices and find it’s device path.

the run listusb -v devicepath to print out the info and paste here or in a bug report.

The output of just listusb may be enough but since there seems to be a problem with the device, listusb -v for verbose output couldn’t hurt.

Thank you for your help.

~> listusb -v
[Device /dev/bus/usb/0/0/1]
Class … 0xff (Vendor specific)
Subclass … 0xff
Protocol … 0x00
Max Endpoint 0 Packet … 64
USB Version … 2.0
Vendor ID … 0x17ef (Lenovo)
Product ID … 0x7203 (Ethernet adapter [U2L 100P-Y1])
Product Version … 0x0001
Manufacturer String … “”
Product String … “”
Serial Number … “”
[Configuration 0]
Configuration String . “”
[Interface 0]
[Alternate 0 active]
Class … 0xff (Vendor specific)
Subclass … 0xff
Protocol … 0x00
Interface String … “”
[Endpoint 0]
MaxPacketSize … 8
Interval … 11
Type … Interrupt
Direction … Input
[Endpoint 1]
MaxPacketSize … 512
Interval … 0
Type … Bulk
Direction … Input
[Endpoint 2]
MaxPacketSize … 512
Interval … 0
Type … Bulk
Direction … Output

You’re device acutally is supposed to already be supported by the usb_asix driver on Haiku.

Could you post the output of your syslog file located at /var/log/syslog with the asix device plugged in it may print some error messages that could help fix it?

The adapter is recognized and it even is reported as connected in the network panel. But the connection does not work.
Syslog is attached.
https://pastebin.com/rspSHXV2

Nevermind got confused :smiley:

#9624 (AX88772B USB Ethernet. Read::MISMATCH of the frame length) – Haiku Looks like a known issue on those usb → ethernet chipsets.

Posting your logs on that ticket could be helpful.

I attached it there with a link back to here in the description.

1 Like