How close to Beta?

How do you figure? Haiku was created in August 2001. This means its first birthday was in August 2002, and its sixteenth birthday will be in a few days. Birthdays are a form of anniversary, they happen only in years subsequent to the original event.

PulkoMandy has this correct and I apparently don’t remember this is 2018 rather than 2017.

Actually, PulkoMandy is correct - Haiku will be 17 on August 18, 2018.

One easy way for me to remember this: my youngest child turned 17 earlier this year and was born in 2001.

1 Like

2018 - 2001 = 17

Sometimes I get confused with this a little (about whether 2001 itself is being counted), so I just count step-by-step like this:
2001 - 0 years
2002 - 1 year
2003 - 2 years
2004 - 3 years
2005 - 4 years
2006 - 5 years
2007 - 6 years
2008 - 7 years (add 10 years to get 2018 - 17 years)
2009 - 8 years
2010 - 9 years
2011 - 10 years
2012 - 11 years
2013 - 12 years
2014 - 13 years
2015 - 14 years
2016 - 15 years
2017 - 16 years
2018 - 17 years

2 Likes

We’ve come a long way baby…

A blast from the past:

screenshot4

This is what OBOS aka Haiku looked like in 2002

incase the image doesn’t appear: http://coquilletkd.com/jim/obos2002.png

13 Likes

Off-by-one error strikes again :wink:

I guess I didn’t count 2001 in there; I admit to the ‘off-by-one’ error too. :slight_smile:

But in going back to the original topic about the next release, I always am appreciative of the monthly logs showing what has been happening to the Nightlies in the background. Those offer so much hope. And I have to say this definitely encouraged me: :smiley:

I think it’ll be a really exciting day for the project when the first Beta does arrive… hopefully, from the time frame given, I’m hoping for sometime this fall. (Though I think I can even say along with others here that even if it’s in time for the holidays, it’d still be awesome!). :slight_smile:

But whenever Beta arrives, go Haiku! :star2:

2 Likes

Your screenshot doesn’t appear :frowning:

looks like discuss.haiku-os.org is having trouble finding the image … look here:

1 Like

I just found this: https://dev.haiku-os.org/wiki/R1/Beta1/Timeline?version=3

6 Likes

Yep. I need to make the blogpost…

3 Likes

Good day,

Wish beta will run on Ryzen 2400G… :slight_smile: so can start some project there :wink:

Regards
RR

Ryzen systems work; they just need the EFI loader I think? Anyway, I don’t expect any major bug-fixes between now and the beta if that’s what you’re asking, unless @kallisti5 suddenly decides to be extra motivated… :stuck_out_tongue:

i think the mayor feature to get rid it’s the virtual box or any virtual mode for other machine/OS so then users can running all the time and report mayor feedback to comunity!

unless that, users only reports some bugs that ocassionally found in the little time that use haiky

to change my OS to haiku, i need a virtual machine emulation support to run my current linux and others OS…

The VMware tools work pretty well with Workstation Pro. I’m not sure what kind of free thing they have going these days. Workstation Player, maybe?

as you said, seems wmware not have any “free” solution for my(our) usage, so tha’s why i a real need a virtual solution to change the OS!

currently the 90% of the users of haiku run the OS in a virtualbox, so always use another OS and not currently haiku… so how can be a real user of if there’s not (possibility) to real compromise!?

From their site:
VMware Workstation Player is free for personal, non-commercial use (business and nonprofit use is considered commercial use). If you would like to learn about virtual machines or use them at home you are welcome to use VMware Workstation Player for free.

I have always used haiku and zeta before that and BeOS before that on bare metal, never in an emulator or virtual box.

2 Likes

as i xpected, too many close responses! reasonable see that haiku have 17 years to still are in alpha!

as i said: feedback are too low due there’s no choice for most user to the change!

I already did.

The 2500 open and yet unresolved tickets on the bugtracker shows that lack of feedback isn’t our main problem.

3 Likes