How can I contribute to Haiku?

That’s changed by clicking and holding down dragging on the the little dragger on the right side.

nothing happens when I drag it down, it just stays there

I got it to work! I thought everyone was talking about the dots on the left side, I didn’t see the ones on the right side.

1 Like

Are there any other Haiku-related projects written in python?

1 Like

Besides the already mentionned haikuports, there is Bethon (API bindings to write Haiku apps in Python). It is currently still using Python 2 and largely unmaintained: https://web.archive.org/web/20081013151246/http://www.drizzle.com/~donn/Bethon.html

I don’t knw if an update starting from the existing code or a complete rewrite is the way to go here.

Other than these, I think Haiku is very centered around C++

1 Like

I was having a look at the different Haiku API bindings,
this seems promising,
perhaps I could make a repo?

A repo is only necessary if the product is closed source. A recipe for HaikuPorts is much more easily accessible and maintainable once the build is repeatable using HaikuBuilder. Did I misunderstand you?

I mean a repo to expand these bindings.
Do you know anyone who might be interested in working on it?

Before anybody agrees to work on anything, what level of knowledge do you have about Python bindings on other platforms? What works in one place but not in others?

My last Python code was in version 2.2 in college but after duck typing was added, compilation grew up from wrapper bindings to outright static compilation. I tried writing a transpiler for YAB BASIC but YAB suffers from some of the same problems as Python 2 but lacks a dictionary datatype (aka unordered map, in C++ terminology).

python binding on other platforms

?

Do you use Qt on Linux in Python, for example? What about Windows?

I do not use Qt or windows.

Cool. I don’t either but that was just an example.

I’m trying to find out what software could run on Haiku with proper bindings.

I was thinking more of bindings for the native Haiku API

Ok, fine. But you need some sort of sales pitch about what it will add: “If we had updated bindings for Python on Haiku, we could XYZ.” The XYZ in the quote is what I’m looking for. Knowing what the bindings will add to Haiku is what I’m looking for. Please tell me.

Haiku native look-and-feel?

1 Like

Do everything that you can do in C++, in Python

1 Like

BeAPI +Python benefits(fast prototyping, etc.)

1 Like

This is too big to break into steps. We have to start somewhere and progress to various checkpoints and get somewhere as a result.

That’s the end goal.