Help?

I am pretty good at this kind of stuff, I would like to think I can code, but I know better. I would like to contribute if I can. I love BeOS and would like to contribute to this is at all possible.

Thanks!

Me too :smiley: But I’d like to do the sound design like startup, shutdown, empty trash sounds. Let me know if there’s a need for such a person and I’ll be ready to help! I also love the BeOS and would be honoured to contribute!

Cheers,
Tymon

I would also love to help, wether it be sfx or gfx. I am also learning C atm …not too good but getting there =P

Tymon wrote:
Me too :D But I'd like to do the sound design like startup, shutdown, empty trash sounds. Let me know if there's a need for such a person and I'll be ready to help! I also love the BeOS and would be honoured to contribute!

Cheers,
Tymon

just create them and put them out there, don’t wait for permission.

Yes but also organization is good - conforming to a particular theme and such - those idea should be discussed.

derekwright wrote:
Yes but also organization is good - conforming to a particular theme and such - those idea should be discussed.

agreed.

Suppafly wrote:
Tymon wrote:
Me too :D But I'd like to do the sound design like startup, shutdown, empty trash sounds. Let me know if there's a need for such a person and I'll be ready to help! I also love the BeOS and would be honoured to contribute!

Cheers,
Tymon

just create them and put them out there, don’t wait for permission.

That’s possible, but like Derek said, it’s good to discuss and organize first. Although Haiku’s image / strategy is pretty obvious: clean, simple, fast, efficient, can get complex things done with not much effort from the end user. So those sounds have to fit that image and feel like they are a part of the OS.

Just some thoughts…

On a side note: anyone knows what they’ll be doing with the icons? I mean. they’re surely copywrighted and owned by Palm right?

in terms of icons i have created a set that is being considered by SkyOS and MenuetOS at this moment in time.

http://members.tripod.com/denux86-architecture

ps: ignore the bottom image that was just a skyOs mockup i did

How is this for a startup sound? http://home.zonnet.nl/xiograph/tymon/startup.mp3

-Too shiny?
-Too peaceful?
-Too complex?
-Too simple?
-Too much effects?
-etc etc etc etc etc

All suggustions are welcome!

i think the transitions between the sounds are a bit to sharp if you could soften the transition

Youlle wrote:
in terms of icons i have created a set that is being considered by SkyOS and MenuetOS at this moment in time.

ps: ignore the bottom image that was just a skyOs mockup i did

I like those icons. What are you using to create them and can you give a quick tutorial on how you did taht. I don’t need anything to complex just enough to get rolling.

I would like to do some stuff using the MacOSX type of work, but at the same time don’t want it to look to much like Mac either. I ihave been tinkering, but have yet been able to crank out an entire set…

Meybe we should come up with a list of applications that will need icons?

Also is there going to be a theme manager in Haiku?

basic icons would probably be - simple text file, c/c++/header files (development icons?) GCC icons, generic binary icon, unkown filetype icon, scripts, device types …most files residing on the system for now will probably be those type.

Also I personally prefer the more smooth clean 3d look of OSX over the stylized look of XP. Also how will the windowing system work - what bpp should icons be in - what sizes …64 32 and 16? Anyways I’m sure they have some people already working on somethings maybe close to this - would be nice to get some input from them.

Edit: Decided to work on some sounds also:

Error

Pop open

Tried to keep them under 1sec long and open the stereo on them as much as possible. If your wondering - they were made in logic audio.

that isnt a complete set i still need to add some more device icons and application icons.

okay i’ve done a quick tutorial for basic icons

for icon creation i use PhotoIMPACT 8 for the design and to convert a png to ico i use Aliaxis IconWorkshop 5

Basic Icon Tutorial

Note that icons loading may be handled by some OS functions, but they are mostly displayed by the Tracker. So it depends on what OpenTracker variation you follow. In OpenTracker the icons are 16x16 and 32x32 with 8 bits. In the SVG-Tracker they can also be 48x48, 64x64 or 128x128 in 32 bits. In the Tracker.NewFS you can have icons up to 512x512 in 32 bits. For the latter two the best would of course be SVG-Icons that can be rendered in any resolution.

Tymon wrote:
How is this for a startup sound? http://home.zonnet.nl/xiograph/tymon/startup.mp3

-Too shiny?
-Too peaceful?
-Too complex?
-Too simple?
-Too much effects?
-etc etc etc etc etc

All suggustions are welcome!

I like the style you went for - good work!

Can’t wait to see how the rest of them come out. Post them as soon as you can. Very good work.

Btw, we’re working on gettin out some vector-based versions of our logos, etc for you guys, just some legal issues to work through with the artist, etc.

Keep up the good work =)

Youlle wrote:

Youlle, your icons are nice. But they don’t seem entirely suitable for Haiku since they don’t use the trademark isometric perspective that has always distinguished BeOS icons from all others. I consider the isometric icons to be as significant a “branding” element as the yellow title bar tabs.

Would you be interested in producing a new set of icons very much like the ones you’ve submitted to SkyOS, but reworked in the isometric perspective? It would be as if the same small “objects” were photographed from a different angle…

isometric view, i can have a go at re-working some icons and see what they look like.

Loaded up illustrator and came up with some Hard Drive Icons

Haiku 256
Haiku 128
Haiku 64
Haiku 32

Generic 256
Generic 128
Generic 64
Generic 32