Help translating applications with Polyglot

Here are many germans around :wink:

I thought that. :laughing:

I often get around to translating fairly quickly after a new project is added at Polyglot. But as I don’t normally use a German locale and may not always know the right terminology of every kind of specialized software, it’s possible some translations are not perfect.
Corrections are appreciated. I set you up for German translations at Polyglot.

If there are borderline cases that should be discussed, I think we can re-use the normally very low-traffic haiku-i18n-de mailing list. Maybe collect a few problematic issues to avoid posting many small mails in a row… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Okay, thank you. :smiley:

Hello, I’d like to help with Greek and possibly Russian translations. My GitHub account is blu256.

Are variations of English (i.e. British, Canadian, Australia English) possible/wanted?

British and Canadian are possible already, other variations and languages can be easily added if there’s demand by a keen translator.

1 Like

I see you have started to use Github for sign-on and that it requires my email.

I do not trust Github or to share my Github email with you. Haiku needs to be independent from any 3rd party service when it comes to data sharing. So no more translations from me until I can login using a Haiku controlled account.

2 Likes

Polyglot has always used GitHub for authentication. There has never been another way to log in since the beginning of the service.

All I can say is that after logging in you can remove it in profile settings. I don’t need it for anything really, I think the only reason it’s requested is that there is no way to not request it. (Take it with a grain of salt, that knowledge is a few years old.)
If you still don’t trust it, I guess there is nothing I can do about that.

Haiku has nothing to do with it, Polyglot is 3rd party translation service for 3rd party applications, provided on a best effort basis.

But yeah, I agree the Haiku project should provide some kind of single sign-on Haiku account. If that had existed I would have used it. GitHub was the second best choice in my evaluation, given that I don’t want to store and handle users’ passwords.

5 Likes

I try to keep up with the Dutch translations, but last I checked even some app’s need translation … if only time permits … :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks, @blu.256. Permissions granted.

2 Likes

I could probably go through and translate for British English - shouldn’t be that much work since most of the text is the same. Could you give me access? My GitHub username is jt15s. Thanks!

Done. I granted you permissions for Canadian as well, for good measure. I never researched where Canadian and US-English differ…

1 Like

Thanks! I suspect Canadian English is basically a mixture of British and American English, I think they use the spelling “colour” instead of “color” as an example. I might look further into this though…

There’s a string in BePodder that reads “Open Enclosures Folder” - what’s an “Enclosures Folder”, and would it be good changing this term to something people are more familiar with?

Edit: Also seems the term “Enclosure” is mentioned further throughout the application too

LOL I struggled also with that until I installed and tried the app to understand.
Basically, some podcats are RSS feeds containing posts that have a sound or a video file joined.

These sort of questions don’t fit well into this general thread. Best to open a ticket at BePodder’s repo or maybe open a new thread here on the forum for a wider discussion.
That said… :slight_smile:
I think “Enclosure” is a remnant BeOSism, as it’s also used in the Mail app. I think it’s referred to as “Attachment” everywhere else. Dunno if it’s on the red list of endangered BeOS artifacts that needs to be preserved or killed and renamed to “Attachment” in Mail, too.

2 Likes

Hi @humdinger , I would like to help with Brazilian Portuguese translations. My github account is andreibosco

Thanks, Andrei. Done.

@all: Instead of a comment, you can also PM me about permission requests, to keep the signal/noise ratio down. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks yjwork for offering to help!
However, since you have just joined the Haiku forums and we don’t know anything about you, I cannot grant writing permissions at Polyglot immediately. Do you have any experience in translating or contributing to other open source projects as a sort of track record?