HAKILO (ex HUPE) + HakiPKG by s40in

If we can’t name BeOS or Haiku, then we can probably name OpenDano :wink:

But perhaps it is easier to make a TransformationPak that simply installs on Haiku and modifies it (like Bone in BeOS R5).

1 Like

I added a link to my script in first post. You can replace it in the haiku source code and make your build. Then after installation this script will unpack the necessary packages.

This is not for everyone. May be someone want try it :slight_smile:

1 Like

The Haiku team is interested to learn about problems running BeOS apps. The thing is, a lot of them install in… /boot/apps. Notice how this is outside the /system directory, and as such, still perfectly writable even on a standard Haiku install?

So, if you have a BeOS app that does not run, we are willing to provide help. I offered to do so when we introduced package management, the offer still holds, and no one bothered to open a bugreport about this. So, either it just works (and my experience with testing the apps from HaikuArchive shows that in most cases, they do), or people just don’t bother running these old apps anymore.

2 Likes

As I understand there can’t be any trademark issues with OBOS, because it is different name, it was not registered by Be Inc. And now, there is no BeOS™ or is?

Than I vote for separate Haiku distro. With more BeOS like Haiku.
Optimizing system is the way, not bubbling it with constantly growing packs. This packs bubbles must be kept in system separate as foreign objects. This is my point of view. There is no need for new light Linux or Windows, or Mac.
And I think this HUPE is in the right direction.

I searched the database of registered trademarks . The name BEOS is registered. But I did not find the names like OpenBeOS, FreeBeOS, OpenDano, FreeDano and HUPE :slight_smile:

The OpenBeOS project got a Cease and Desist request from Palm, back then, and this is why they decided to change their name. Maybe they could have argued that there was no problem.

For similar reasons, the french company Free threatened various other companies, for example Free Electrons which renamed themselves to Bootlin. Maybe they could have gone to court, but they didn’t want to waste efforts, time and money on that.

Anyways, it’s been almost 20 years, few people remember BeOS, the Haiku brand is getting some recognition, and it’s time to move forward.

There will always be a small number of people still dreaming about BeOS, exactly like you can find some dreaming about Windows 3.11 or 95. A time where things were simple, fast, and would bluescreen or suddenly refuse to boot or open a Terminal for no obvious reasons, and all you could do was reinstall everything.

5 Likes

To be honest, windows 10 can do this still nowadays… :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Palm bought Be Inc. to shut down the works and put all of Be’s intellectual property, trademarks, copyrights, etc into a holding company. All of this IP is still protected, last time I checked. This company still exists today, waiting for a reason to litigate up some money. OpenBeOS dodged a very real and possible lawsuit by changing it’s name to Haiku. While you may think you’re being cute and cool by considering using OpenBeOS as a moniker for a distro based on Haiku, many of us would rather not see this. Such a distro so closely based on Haiku, even if you stripped all haiku reference, could possibly draw legal blowback to the Haiku project. Having to deal with any lawsuit like this could cripple Haiku.

Why not try a name like “575”? I think it’s catchy, and captures the core essence of Haiku without stepping on any trademarks.

He spoke about OBOS!

The name is an important part, but not the most important :slight_smile: Let it be the working name OBOS.

1 Like

Who thinks about packages? Maybe they are not needed? Leave pkg (as in BeOS) + manual installation of hpkg (from Haiku).

I do not need constant software updates. I want to understand what I install and what’s new in new version. Usually the old version is good.

I also liked the installation in MacOS X Tiger / Leopard. Dragged the App folder from the dmg image to any folder. I do not know how it is done in the new versions now.

It’s more convenient for me to download programs from a site like bebits (or google play) than from a pack repository.

I like pkg system as in BeOS: packages needed only for sharing and installing software.
There is good to have some GUI app for instaling and removing packages, Haiku depot can also be useful.

I think, there must be all possible ways to install software, user must pick one which he likes.
…And the real file system must be installed software manager (like in Gobo Linux), there is no need for some additional virtual file system.
…Also additionaly there can be some managing installed software using file system attributes.

Would Haiku, Inc really start legal proceedings against a user in this way? I’d much rather my monthly $25 goes on improving Haiku (3d acceleration? compositing?) rather than starting frivolous lawsuits against people whose only crime is to be genuinely interested in the OS…

It’s Haiku. Not Microsoft. Not Apple, and not Coke. I understand the desire to defend the IP of Haiku, Inc but pick your battles, please!

1 Like

I doubt it. Nobody mentioned anything about lawsuits, however… Chill.

3 Likes

I did your script on installed Haiku with some additional software system.
Booted OK, BeOS like software works OK, ported software (LibreOffice…) do not work (reinstall maybe help?). In systems lib folder found some broken links.
And now how to I can install software from packages? I do not installed those scripts before cloning Haku installation!
…RAM usage dropped in half.

It’s not about lawsuits, but basic trademark protection. Usually reminding people that they accidentally used our logo without permission, and that’s all (often haiku poem contests or stuff like that, where people will search “haiku” in Google image and find our nice logo and put it on their flyers).

The thing is, the day there is a real problem with the trademark, someone doing something really bad that deserves a lawsuit, if you did nothing until then to protect the trademark, and there are dozen of people using it freely already, then you can’t complain anymore.

We work hard to build the reputation of Haiku as a free software operating system, with a single configuration and no surprises. This is where “Linux” (actually GNU/Linux) fails: you may have a Linux system, there is no guarantee my “designed for Linux” software will install and run fine on it. This is why you will rather see support for Ubuntu or Redhat or… in that ecosystem. Likewise, the name Haiku must point to something quite specific, so when people tell their software runs on Haiku, it really does. There is no way to achieve that if your Haiku maybe comes with packages, maybe not (as is the case here), maybe is based on a Linux kernel (Cosmoe, V\OS), or maybe is a fork of the ancient Alpha 4 (forgot the name of this one, sorry). Note that a distro like “discover Haiku” from TuneTracker systems got the agreement to use the Haiku name without problems.

4 Likes

You can unpack script (or any softtware) from hpkg use command in Terminal:

package extract package.hpkg

About broken links. Hmm… I think need to fix them manually. I have not yet come across this, but probably it depends on the package and how it is assembled.