Haiku's libtextencoding.so makes Opera go crazy

(not sure this is the right place to post… dunno which is the team responsible of this lib)

Hello guys,

After I’d installed the libtextencoding.so library (in order to use Haiku’s StyledEdit, with Andrew’s latest fixes) I’ve noticed that the Opera browser has a lot of troubles with the text displaying.

It doesn’t crashes or anything, but the window’s title, and several of the app’s menus tend to show weird characters, or nothing at all, instead of the proper text.

It also seems as it is reading text from the wrong memory locations, because sometimes the window’s title shows portions of html, or even parts of the cache’s index file (dcache.url).

To be able to use both Opera and StyledEdit properly, I’ve just put the conflicting library inside of a ‘lib’ directory, placed in the same spot as the StyledEdit app.

I haven’t noticed anything weird, related to this library, with any other app so far, so I guess this is not too much of an issue, but I thought it was better to report it.

Ok, that’s all. Thanks a lot for your work!

Oscar.

I’ve noticed this too but I could not track down what was causing it. Operas the only BeOS browser that works with my proxy correctly, so I have to use it…

Thanks for that hint BiPolar!
I recently found those same weird characters in PecoRename. Putting the lib into it’s seperate lib folder solves the issue nicely until the bug is fixed.

cu
lichtgestalt

I personally bugged Andrew about this last night on IRC - he hadn’t seen the bug, but now assures me that its fixed. Its down to Opera/RealPlayer/etc passing an incorrect argument in the UTF8 conversion, IIRC. But the Haiku libtextencodings can now tolerate that bug.

MYOB wrote:
I personally bugged Andrew about this last night on IRC - he hadn't seen the bug, but now assures me that its fixed. Its down to Opera/RealPlayer/etc passing an incorrect argument in the UTF8 conversion, IIRC. But the Haiku libtextencodings can now tolerate that bug.

Hadn’t seen the report, sorry. He had seen the bug and didn’t know what caused it :slight_smile: