HaikuDepot Featured Packages overhaul

The website is not completely up to date, there is some (limited) javascript suppport. The main apheal is that it is much less memory hungry than other browsers, and does not require sse2 instructions in the CPU. So it is a good choice for very low-end machines, which some people tend to associate with Haiku for some reason, probably because no other OS will even try to support them.

And also, in terms of native apps, there is not a not of choices as far as web browsers go.

2 Likes

qmplay2 I use a lot and scribus I did not find…
Have to check later after work, thanks michel

1 Like

I quickly tested it with the R1B5 - RC0 on a USB stick, created a 10 sec edited video, so no suprises (compared to older nightlies). The last update was due to ffmpeg ABI breakage, that was fixed over a year ago. Real life preventing me working on the app, but that is a temporary problem :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Ahoy @michel ,

Pure optical media - CD, DVD not ot mention BluRay - playing is harshly treated nowadays.

VLC can handle finally DVDs - I mean Video DVDs - altogether menus.
However cannot play music from Audio CDs.
It’s a shame that VLC how strange if it is not running on Windows or Linux. It cannot handle Haiku way of optical media. There is no drive letters, or such Linux device path.
I do nmot know it should be modified by porter, but not only file management is problematic.
Audio CD play is so basic and old thing it could handle the media players first.
I do not know what library or else missing from Haiku, but for VLC it should not be a problem as it equipped with a ton of libraries, this way it had not required any codec packs on Windows not to mention Linux.
So I do not know why do not works this simple function in VLC without a hitch on Haiku.
Or in other player, modern or not, simple or complex in functionality … except one - that I found when I almost gave up on it.

I know, now everyone use some streaming service for audio or offline files from USB or harddisk … but very interesting that a multimedia centric OS - have installed a ton of player audio/video (some both), but only
one ported app
SMPLayer handles Audio CDs as expected :

→ not needed to rip all the titles - or that one, which selected - at all
→ no distorted, stuttering, lagging playback of audio in cd audio format
→ the progress bar can be used to jump within a title
→ creates playlist from CD (using TOC maybe ? ) and you can jump to any title using the playlist

So for Audio CD play I offer to include SMPlayer – adding the note
the one and only player that handles Audio CDs.
I do not have DVD and BluRay equivalent discs, so actually cannot check those as well, for their Audio only versions.

:Kind regards,

Maybe having a way to search packages without displaying a non filtered list first?
I mean something like Ubuntu does here:

There are device paths in /dev/disk, but we don’t really need VLC to do this when the audio files are available as wav files through cddafs.

We do need to make cddafs use more caching, however, so that the playback is smooth. I think this shouldn’t be a very big problem, it just needs a developer with a CD drive, a working soundcard, and some time and motivation to do it.

Okay, It’s done. I couldn’t make everybody happy, but we do now have a pretty solid permanent list. I’ve added the last ten updates to get the ball rolling. Which is how Dooble sneaked back in.

Of course to see the New Featured Apps list, you’ll need to set your repo lists to beta5, with all the dangers involved.

I am keeping a record of all changes made, and I’ll put that up on a git server somewhere. I’ll let you know once I’ve made that accessible.

So, “how do I get my app to be Featured?” Update it. I will be checking the depot for new apps and updates every weekend. And remember, 4.1 to 4.2 is a Featurable update, 4.1-1 to 4.1-2 is just maintenance. No pressure …

8 Likes

Thank you!
Do something like that on Windows and you would see all major companies changing their release day for Friday fearing that if they release on Monday their product might not be in the list. :grin:

1 Like