Haiku Usefulness Public Show

Hi
I’ve been working on a hybrid Haiku/Dano and on a hybrid Haiku/PE distro just to show what can we already use from Haiku into BeOS daily.
At this point I managed into the distro:

*AGP
*Drivers
*Translation_Kit
*Fonts
*Most of the /bin stuff
Apps:
*Clock
*Expander
*Inspector
*Magnify
*People
*Pulse
*ShowImage
*Terminal
Preferences:
*Backgrounds
*DataTranslations
*Devices
*Media
*Menu
*Mouse
*Screen
*Sounds
*Workspaces
FS:
*DOS
*ISO9660
*UDF

I couldn’t manage to make it boot from OpenBFS. Has anybody got it working?

I’d say the components are quite stable as my sister is using the distro and haven’t complained :smiley:

Great really great work from Haiku

tearjerker

you have this for download any place?

but i’ll have it by the weekend i think

tearjerker wrote:
*Backgrounds
nvm

Tearjerker:

“Hi
I’ve been working on a hybrid Haiku/Dano and on a hybrid Haiku/PE distro just to show what can we already use from Haiku into BeOS daily.
At this point I managed into the distro:
( the list)”

I’m confused. Do you mean all those things on your list have been created using the revised HAIKU coding, and work under BeOS, or that you’ve got a working distro of HAIKU that runs all those things from BeOS?!

I mean at first I thought you ment you had a New HAIKU running, but then you had said “use FROM HAIKU into(within?) BeOS daily.”

Hello. I’m an old “MS Hater” from when Windows 3.1 came out (I remember GEOS beating the socks off of it, then vanishing from the scene, and I still mourn my Amiga loosing it’s cutting edge). I’ve been interested in “alternative OS’s” for quite a while, but I don’t want to run a server (Linux), and can’t afford to buy pricy hardware (Mac) just for a decent desktop (disguised Linux :smiley: ). I’ve peeked at a number of the other alternative systems but none approaches the ease-of-use of BeOS/Haiku. Now I just have to anxiously await it’s (re-)release.

Now that Haiku can accept donations, a nice fund-raising trick to borrow from the Linux playbook would be to make and sell ISO CD’s for $5 USD and postage. That would allow people without broadband to get the latest standardized version and share it with their friends. At $5 each, that’s cheaper than most of the magazines at the grocery store’s stand. Throw in a CD with tutorials, artwork, and themes for an extra couple of bucks to sweaten the deal.

Just think of all the bughunters to help troubleshoot! An error reporting app that sends home bug reports like the latest browsers would help cut down on the duplicate “it’s busted!” reports.

But, these are just my suggestions. I’m not a programmer or businessman (yet), so I don’t really have a clue about the difficulty of producing any of this :oops:

Keep up the great work! And put me down for that ISO when it’s ready!

Russell

Hi russ, and welcome. You should post a link to your last post to my post about how freeking excited I got over HAIKU, you know, cause I’m cool. The tone almost sounded a bit like my tone on that post, plus It’s the kind of post I was hoping someone would post there, at that post. So if you’d like to post a link to your post to my post, the link to the post is:

http://haiku-os.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=117

P.S.

The last post about my first post shouldn’t have been posted, but the post seemed so empty when nobodsy was posting. So in lieu of having been the only post with no posts, I posted. Please disregard the post to the post where I posted about the post and feel free to post your post.

Thank you.

~Vincent

I threw in those components compiled from Haiku into BeOS.
The base system is still BeOS.
Well I’m not sure if I am legally able to ship CDs with this hybrid distro, even if it is the PE based.
Help here? :smiley:

And what about Backgrounds?
It’s working…

tearjerker wrote:
And what about Backgrounds? It's working...
I couldn't delete my post. :x

More like “the HISTORY of BSD”. Back when AT$T had the only version of Unix on the planet, the University of California at Berkely was paying steep license fees to use it. Well the CompSci students weren’t totally pleased with what they were given (like students the world over) and started replacing the various tools with work-alikes that they wrote themselves. They replaced a bit here, a bit there, did one big project on the kernel, and SHAZAM! It wasn’t AT$T’s Unix anymore, it was theirs. The courts backed 'em up on it too, when AT$T started crying about their lost license fees.

You’re doing the exact same thing.

And besides, who’s going to come after you for damages? And how were they damaged? PE has been free for years now, nobody is profiting from it, or supporting it.

Besides, if you put a big disclaimer on the front of the install, the most that anyone could make you do is take it off the net (of course, by that time just about anyone in the world could get a copy :stuck_out_tongue: ).

Remember, IANAL (I Am Not A Lawyer), but my guess is that you could legally distribute BeOS PE with alternate tools without anyone saying jack about it except,“Thanks!”

Russell

rallen wrote:
And besides, who's going to come after you for damages? And how were they damaged? PE has been free for years now, nobody is profiting from it, or supporting it.

It just depends on who actually owns the IP. They might take issue with someone making money off it. To be sure no money can exchange hands or at least no profit (But, then you’d have to make sure to have the paperwork to prove you’re just covering expenses, etc.).

Better to offer a free download (as has been mentioned above) than sell something.