Haiku UI Mockup

You can change the dark grey color which is panel background color in Appearance prefs and the medium blue color is Mark color which you can also change in Appearance prefs.

I still think having all these settings in the Appearance preferences is not that great. I would rather have a way to chose an alternate BControlLook and be done with it, or maybe a 3rd party app to tweak the look. But I feel the default install should not have this much options.

1 Like

But Appearance is exactly where these settings should go… either that or Scroll Bar ;). I’d like to add one more drop-down in Look & Feel for Control Look. It’s not that many options and the scroll bar options come from BeOS of course which is just a bit of whimsy that made the OS special and that so many have asked for in forum posts (like this one, just scroll up) and bug reports and on IRC. Decorator and Control Look could hypothetically be combined into one but they represent different things in the source code. Decorators control the look of the outside of the window while Control Look controls the look of the inside. Set to BeDecorator and BeControlLook (coming soon) for maximal BeOS nostalgia mode.

6 Likes

That sounds like a good idea, and it won’t clutter the preflet window in any way

Does somebody still have topic starter’s mockups?

1 Like

Original poster here thanks to a reply notification email. Didn’t expect this thread to live on this long!

I’m not sure if it’s the original, but this is the oldest version of the mockup I could find after digging through my files.

13 Likes

It is definitely nice to see. And it’s an interesting comparison and historical reference. This may be one of the few times waking such an old thread is worth it.

1 Like

Speaking of UI mockups. Does anyone know who the author of those mockups was?

2 Likes

I’d prefer the menu bar vertical whitespace to be reduced there a bit, but it’s fine otherwise!

1 Like

Rounded corners all the way! Including the window border corners! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Good day,

Looks like theming is a “must”?. I totally am against round corners :grinning: so clean square angle borders is what I’m for.

Hopefully I’ll understand theming completely in the near future to make a “real black” theme… hopefully…:slightly_smiling_face:

Regards,
RR

1 Like

How did you make that screenshot?

I’m building a controllook based on haikucontrollook that should be more like aqua and want to have that in it.

4 Likes

I have made several appeals for scroll knob setting to be included and it doesn’t look like it will make it in. There is code in Default/HaikuControlLook that does rounded buttons and menu fields if you want to implement that in your own control look.

Personally I think it should be included, not sure why we should not have rounded corners.
What’s the harm? They look much better. Lets add round corners!

6 Likes

There are probably few things that could be improved for dark schemes but I think default control_look should stay what it is. Haiku shouldn’t provide more than default and BeOS control_look. The others should be developed elsewhere but not in Haiku tree; it can’t be to Haiku team to maintain a dozen of them. Though we have seen with Flat that it being outside tree can cause problems (If something changed, code needs to be updated and rebuild is needed otherwise you crash app server at desktop start). So, let’s have more control_look developed on GitHub then when they are mature enough include them on haiku_extras package like it was done for Flat.

No they don’t. But that’s all personal preferences.

We have discussed this many times, indeed I don’t think there should be settings for everything exposed in Appearance. My reasoning is that the more settings you add there, the more I have to test that my applications look nice with all possible settings, which requires a crazy lot of work. If these settings are official, I cannot ignore them. Extra stuff in the scrollbar knob is probably not going to be a problem, but then again, why should that be an option at all? Why not always enable them if they are better?

The control look could support some customizations that could be exposed, at least as a first step, from a 3rd party app. Then it remains a little “unofficial” and I have one less thing to worry in my testing.

1 Like

There are a few things that are in tree (Mac and Win decorators for example) that doesn’t have any less problems than the Flat decorator. If no developer maintains them, they just keep being broken.

I strongly disagree with this. It seems like lets make an OS for developers, and lets limit things for the benefit of those developers.
I want the freedom to customize some parts. I think this can be done without causing problems for developers, so I don’t even think it is a good argument.

3 Likes

What? why?

I don’t see any point in having to develop on github, let’s lock ourselves in more for no reason…

I know, but I did not get it to work : /

That’s kinda the reason I want to make my own controllook : ), I can go a bit further in the direction of aqua, I think HaikuDecorator is fine as a default.

1 Like

Every option added is twice the smmount of unique setups to test, in my changed to the scrollbars I already never tested the other option, as It never occured to me.

To make a broader point: the exposed, and proposed settings are specific to a certain controllook and should never have been exposed there. The default controllook should hsve exactly 0 options, if you want something else you can pick a different one.