Haiku totally sux

It is quite simple really, you were warned numerous times by severall different developers to not use the nightlies if you want a stable build. The nightlies are ment to be broken.

Essentially you had metaphorical gloves but refuse to wear them, and then complain you got burned.

In short: not our problem, you were warned explicitly. The nightlies will not become more stable by you complaining.

8 Likes

So, you have your Windows installations tuned to the “Insider Builds, Fast Ring” (or whatever they call it now – “Dev Channel”), right? You get all the latest and greatest new experiments every day including all the things that break your computer, too?

Or do you not do that and you run the stable builds of Windows only? How is it at all fair to compare the stable builds Windows, a professional project with hundreds of developers and billions of users, with the nightly builds of a hobby project? You could at least compare desktop Linux nightly builds with Haiku, there might be a bit more comparison there (especially with how frequently things break quite badly!)

You revert back to the previous revision. Or you use another computer to download it instead.

You know, the exact same things you do when Linux (or even Windows) breaks in the same way! I recall having to move network drivers over on a USB stick to a fresh Windows install just a few years back…

Presumably you have more than one device, or more than one OS, at least, that you can use to search for answers … just like with Windows or Linux or macOS.

Either you play it safe and have a system that remains stable(-ish) for long periods of time, or you “live life on the edge” and get new and shiny features at the price of some things breaking now and again.

That’s it. Those are the options. There are no others, because we’re all only human.

5 Likes

AHAHAHAHA!

I’m sorry… have you not heard of a project called Linux? Or Ubuntu? Or Fedora? Or Gentoo? Oh, I’m sorry… those last three are DISTROS. But… each of them has developers working for… MILLIONS OF DOLLARS, right? No.

How is Haiku any different? It is an Open source project, just as they are… and in 22 years… there have been a bazillion versions of Ubuntu (several of which I’ve used and enjoyed)… and Haiku still hasn’t reached R1. Why is that? No, really ask yourself… WHY IS THAT?!?

None are so loud and persistent, as those that care about the rest and not just themselves.

Fedora is the upstream for Red Hat Enterprise Linux and has paid developers, yes. Ubuntu has commercial support and also has paid developers (and so does Debian, if I’m not mistaken.) The Linux kernel itself has a huge array of developers at lots of different companies paid to work on it full-time.

5 Likes

Except they totally do?
Linux is backed by many powerfull and wealthy companies like google, red hat (now part of ibm?), canonical etc.

Many of them employ countless developers directly.

3 Likes

Actually, they do. They get boatloads of sponsors and funding by Google, Amazon, etc. Haiku doesn’t get all this funding
https://www.debian.org/partners/

Fedora is literally owned by IBM and is just upstream RHEL

1 Like

Seriously? They are MEANT to be broken. It is the ultimate achievement to BREAK a nightly build? Please excuse me while I go off to a corner and laugh my freaking head off! :rofl:

I was quite serious when I wrote that. They are nightlies for exactly that purpose.
Developers need a place to test changes and to get fast feedback from users.
Code I write now is fresh in my mind and a bug report for my new code in 3 days can be adressed quickly and fixed quickly.
The nightlies really are ment for developes by developers, this is the place development takes place, stability is traded for improvements to the system, wether specific, say drivers, or bigger refactors. all run the very serious risk to completely break the system. This is as such intentional, we don’t want users relying on the nightlies for a stable build, it would make development incredibly hard and inefficient.

2 Likes

I use Windows 11 Home. Latest version. I have no reason/motivation to go into the “Insider Builds”, as I don’t use nor need anything “bleeding edge”. But when I do an update, do I clutch my pearls and pray to the deities that I’ll still have a working system when it’s finished? No. An update on a “final” Beta is the same as an update from one nightly to the next, is it not? A “final” beta could be broken by an update just as easily as a nightly, could it not? I’d love to be completely mistaken in that.

No, generally not.

Updates to the beta releases are infrequent and tend to be major bugfixes only, which are applied to the beta updates channel after they have been tested on the nightlies for a while. It’s possible that changes to HaikuPorts could break the beta releases, but this is quite infrequent, and generally will result in only an application or two temporarily not working, not the whole system falling over.

2 Likes

Ok, I stand corrected. My apologies for such a blatant misunderstanding. :grinning:

Once again, I apologize for my misunderstanding. I knew that some aspects had financial backing, but I was under the impression the majority was “free labor” by devoted individuals.

Ok, I “get” where you’re coming from, and I know nightlies CAN break from time to time (and that they are not “stable” and so forth), but the way you phrased it gave me this hilarious image of developers doing their absolute BEST to break the nightlies, like it was some massive contest or something.

But I’m pretty sure beta 3 (“stable”) isn’t going to run everything (hardware) right on my system (sound and wifi are the two biggest things for me). Sadly, I don’t have the older systems/laptops I had, as I sold them (laptops) and parts of them (desktops). I have a new Ryzen 5 system I just cobbled together from a new motherboard/CPU and left over case/PSU/RAM and an Asus ROG Zephyrus G Ryzen 7 laptop. That’s it for me, now. Both run Windows 11 flawlessly, of course. My M1 Mac Mini won’t run Haiku at all right now (but it runs macOS great… for some strange reason :rofl:), if I’m not mistaken.

Ok… wait a second… you mean that betas have their own set of updates that are stable updates, not nightlies? For some reason, I was under the impression that the nightlies were the updates for betas or other nightlies. That the nightlies were essentially the only updates (revisions) available, if you wanted to update your beta/nightly, it was going to be a nightly until the next final beta came out.

Of course, I just caught (out of the corner of my eye) a popup blurb about beta 4 being released? Sounds pretty imminent… and therefore, like the age-old concern “Do I buy a computer now or the next newer model?”, I supposed the same could be said for Haiku… go after beta 3 or wait for beta 4? :grinning:

Yes, they are the + updates, as in the about window it will show up as “hrev xxxxx+yyy” , which means stable with selected backported or additional patches.

Well, then… I think I need to bone up on my “Haiku-cation” (Haiku Education). However, since Beta 4 is virtually on our doorstep, gotta see if I can whip up a USB drive to hold the Beta 4 test and plug 'er into one of my two Ryzen systems. Gotta turn off Secure Boot mode and…? in UEFI BIOS, first, right?

Anyone still working on a list of hardware that Haiku runs stable/correctly/completely on? Or is that a lizard you just can’t keep up with or catch? :grinning:

1 Like

What is this aggressiveness all about? Completely unnecessary and out of place. Anyone who has children knows what I mean, ultimately you don’t get anywhere with bans.

If only 1% of the interest is there anyway, I wonder why you are writing mega long texts here. You are dissatisfied, yes we understand. You don’t agree with the way the developers work, we understand that too. So either you learn C++ and do your bit, or you look around for an alternative, because haiku doesn’t seem to promise what you think it should.

And the people here aren’t on deaf ears, they’re private individuals working on haiku as a hobby, they’re not paid developers from a company getting paid for what to do next.

9 Likes

My rants are not JUST about me. It’s for EVERYONE that wants Haiku to be their main OS. Who among us, who loved BeOS and has fallen in love with Haiku doesn’t want it to be their main OS? I would gladly stop using Windows 11 or my M1 Mac Mini, if Haiku could do what I do on them. Reliably. As much as I am a happy Mac owner again (thank you, Apple, for getting rid of Intel! Apple PC’s are no place for MacOS. Apple Computers are for MacOS), I would rather run Haiku on a Ryzen system. Am I crazy or just unique enough to want to stand apart from the norm? Isn’t that why Linux and BSD and Haiku users exist? To be different? At the end of the day… every OS does the SAME things… just in a DIFFERENT way. I like how Haiku looks and functions. I like the WAY it does things. As long as it can do those things without breaking… I’d be completely happy!

I think i’m going to lock this thread. I agree with @lelldorin that this is taking a weird aggressive direction. A lot of baggage has been unloaded here and it is turning into an unhealthy rant.

@Luposian There’s a lot of folks who work on Haiku for free, and yelling at them that they aren’t doing a good enough job is unproductive.

Consider this a gentle warning. Lets keep it productive and at least a little positive. If you want things to improve, pick up a wrench and help out. Thus is Open Source.

Wanna help out? @waddlesplash is looking for people to help test out r1/beta4:
https://discuss.haiku-os.org/t/help-wanted-haiku-r1-beta4-boot-hardware-testing/12658/5

17 Likes