Haiku Terminal

Is the Haiku terminal it’s own thing or is it a replication of the linux/unix terminal? and where would one learn it’s commands?

Terminal is a native Haiku app.

There’s a guide for it at:

so it’s just the unix/linux terminal and uses the same commands?

Found a bug. The app menu doesn’t scroll when it goes off the edge of the screen.

so, despite being the BASH shell used in linux, in haiku it seems to have it’s own commands.

in any case, I hope Haiku doesn’t need the terminal like Linux does.

Yes, Haiku has a lot of own specific commands, tools.

As for me, Terminal is just a help in case.

Well, that’s gonna depend on what you’re doing on it. :slight_smile:

Around half my time on Haiku is in the Terminal, mostly scripting or using ssh to connect to servers.

I suspect that most Haiku users, as with Mac and Windows users, rarely use the terminal at all and may not even know it’s there.

1 Like

I believe Haiku uses bash by default in terminal. Personally, I use zsh with oh my zsh by default. You can install your favorite shell and go to /etc/passwd and set your shell there. Hmm that would be a good little project, write a ‘csh’ app/script for haiku.