Haiku, R1/Beta3 - Test Candidate 1 availablilty

Hello!

Haiku, R1/Beta3 Test Candidate 1 is now available.
This is a testing image to ensure functionality of Haiku R1/Beta3 on various end user systems.

Warning: This is not the final R1/Beta3 release and should not be used on “long term” systems. This is a testing images of our codebase that will eventually become R1/Beta3.

Changes since Test Candidate 0:

• Set HAIKU_OFFICIAL_RELEASE for release logos
  • intel_pstates fix
    • Resolves lockups on some intel platforms
  • Minor posix confstr adjustments
  • sdhci bug fixes
  • add haiku bootloaders to /boot/system/data/platform_loaders/
    • Enables easier access to the latest copy of our bios/EFI/pxe bootloaders on running systems
  • intel_extreme bug fixes
    • Improving intel_extreme display port reliability
  • mime_db updates
  • asus-wmi fixes and improvements

Test Candidate 1 is available here:

As usual, please test these images on physical hardware, and report issues to http://dev.haiku-os.org (under the r1/beta3 version)

Thanks!

– Alex

20 Likes

Thanks Alex!
I have been looking all over for Test Candidate 0

I still run into #16984 when trying to install from the mounted anyboot image to an empty BFS formated partition.

Tried the x86 version in VMware

The deskbar crashed on shut down two times but worked fine. On the first boot (before the background wallpaper showed up) I have enabled “show application expander,” that might be the reason.

Both VMware add-on packages do not work.

The open sound driver is working.

The mouse pointer behaved funny a few times at first, switching the mouse control to the host then back to haiku fixed it when it happened.

is there a way to change the repos to test it directly from repos?

Can’t boot it on my machine, but then haven’t been able to boot a nightly for a while either so not sure I want to interrupt the beta3 process with that!

hm. could you open a ticket with a few details? Still definitely interested in what could be going on here :slight_smile:

Does it include updated WebKit?

Not yet. The Webkit guys are still working through the updated recipe. Hopefully TC2 will have it.

I will once I’ve found some useful details (unless spec is enough for now) - I’ve not been able to get any useful output or find any combination of settings that makes a difference yet! Jessicah suggested some older builds prior to the UEFI refactor, will give those a spin and report back.

This is the reason. See Random Deskbar crashes · Issue #12 · HaikuArchives/VMwareAddons · GitHub for how to workaround these crashes.

1 Like

run fine on asus mini Desktop PC E410

Installed the TC from a usb stick with no issues, and it has been stable thus far. The only thing that I’ve seen of note was after installing, I ran software updater and it listed updates to 55181+16 which I ignored.

I ran software update this morning and there was nothing listed, so it appears it’s been corrected.

Minor UX suggestion.
May want to update the instructions at:

From the First boot
If I choose Install Haiku instead of Try out Haiku
there is no path back to the desktop to copy the UEFI files.
The Quit button is changed to Reboot.

Might be related to 17039

My laptop doesn’t boot correctly with this TC1:

It’s the first time I have this issue with a Haiku install on this laptop.

I have to go Select boot volume, select Latest state, Return to main menu, and then choose Continue booting.

@JeremyF

hmm. i’ve seen this one before as well booting from EFI on non-x86 platforms.

I’m working though generating a new set of initial_packages for haikuporter to get the webkit2 port running, but will circle back to this one right after to try and identify the cause.

Were you booting as UEFI via the anyboot as a CD or a USB stick?

1 Like

I installed into the HDD via a USB stick.
No problem with boot on USB, but now I boot on the HDD and I have this issue.

GPT disk, a 500Mio EFI partition (FAT32) and about 950Gio Haiku partition (BeFS).

I copied the EFI folder from USB stick to the EFI partition.

1 Like

@JeremyF Thanks for the clarification. I’ll try and reproduce this.

1 Like

Steps to reproduce at:
https://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/17039

Hope this helps