Haiku - Question

Hello there I found this page by accident while trying to find a good desktop OS, easy to use and fast. I’ve used BeOS in the past it met my every need… at the time. From what I understood by browsing Haiku’s website, Haiku is what was known as OpenBeOS someone told me that this system was UNIX based.
Here’s the thing I want to ask, I’m not a programmer so I appoligise for my ignorance, how will Haiku relate with native YellowTAB based applications or won’t that be a problem?

I think that we all love BeOS the only reasons to why I can’t have it installed in my computer are two, hardware compability and internet sharing abilities. Besides that I still question myself if i should or not permantly change my OS choice, I can see the efort to recreate a better BeOS but I don’t the software support so necessary for any operating system to stay alive.

haiku is not unix based

See above-- Haiku is not based on Unix anymore than BeOS was except for the fact that (well, I think) that Haiku will exhibit some POSIX compliance.

As far as application support goes, I can see where you’re coming from. A lot of the software around for BeOS is either second rate, or unfinished but there is a lot of good software around for it. I’ll wager that once Haiku is mature there’ll be a lot of people realising what a good OS it is and the 1st rate software will flow… :slight_smile: I mean you can even get your GeForce FX 5600 working on it. For a cough dead cough system (read: sarcasm) that’s something!

Yellowtab, as far as I’m aware is just BeOS so presumably Haiku’s binary compatibility with BeOS means all the YellowTAB apps will work.

If no compatibility issues rise between YellowTAB and Haiku or any future BeOS based OS, that could mean a greater range of choice in the software people would use, still the hardware support when it comes to USB devices is a little weak, that affects me alot using a USB cable modem on BeOS would be impossible for a common user, unless that user doesn’t need to share the internet connection by two network cards like I do, other than that Haiku is the best choice around for a common user who would like to change to an alternative OS without the hassles of viruses, hacking attacks, spam and other problems wich affect Seattle’s baby known as Whistler.

vando2k wrote:
Haiku is the best choice around for a common user who would like to change to an alternative OS without the hassles of viruses, hacking attacks, spam and other problems wich affect Seattle's baby known as Whistler.

Not sure what spam has to do with OS but…

derekwright wrote:
Not sure what spam has to do with OS but...
Hehe, I saw that too. Not sure either :)

Agreed on the simplicity front-- A lot of users can’t even cope with Windows so it needs to be relatively straightforward, but with the extension for power users to get down and dirty :slight_smile:

Also another thing that seems to have been twisted about MS - the reason they are so huge is because they are solid - believe it or not. They may crash - thats not their fault …its more application developers and driver developers faults. The reason their are so many viruses for win is because just about EVERYONE uses it - same would go with beos too! There is nothing wrong with wanting to make a superior OS - but I really think we should leave OS bashing behind us. They all have their strengths and weaknesses.

derekwright wrote:
vando2k wrote:
Haiku is the best choice around for a common user who would like to change to an alternative OS without the hassles of viruses, hacking attacks, spam and other problems wich affect Seattle's baby known as Whistler.

Not sure what spam has to do with OS but…

80+% of spam originates from Windoze computers infected with worms that allow the attacker to control the machine.

derekwright wrote:
Also another thing that seems to have been twisted about MS - the reason they are so huge is because they are solid - believe it or not. They may crash - thats not their fault ...its more application developers and driver developers faults. The reason their are so many viruses for win is because just about EVERYONE uses it - same would go with beos too! There is nothing wrong with wanting to make a superior OS - but I really think we should leave OS bashing behind us. They all have their strengths and weaknesses.

Derek,

I totally agree. Windows is dead stable if you don’t run any applications on it.

haiqu wrote:
derekwright wrote:
Also another thing that seems to have been twisted about MS - the reason they are so huge is because they are solid - believe it or not. They may crash - thats not their fault ...its more application developers and driver developers faults. The reason their are so many viruses for win is because just about EVERYONE uses it - same would go with beos too! There is nothing wrong with wanting to make a superior OS - but I really think we should leave OS bashing behind us. They all have their strengths and weaknesses.

Derek,

I totally agree. Windows is dead stable if you don’t run any applications on it.

:lol:

what about… windumb crashes due to software where devers make errors?
but why o they make errors? because they are too st00pid?
nah… mostly because the os is so lazy and the definitions and api is so lazy. it’s not the first time i found myself confronted with an api function NOT doing what the documentation is making us belief it does. also the lazy memory management not catching the small but deadly memory errors under c++ is the main reason for crashing apps.
and also… the apps that crash the most on windumb are (with my experience) the m$ internal apps: IE, WinWord, DX and others. :roll:

haiqu wrote:
Derek,

Wasn’t there a 50 day bug in one of the more recent versions, as in it would crash after that amount of time? Took time to find it if I recall, b/c no-one could keep it up for that long :wink:

SigmaNunki wrote:
haiqu wrote:
Derek,

Wasn’t there a 50 day bug in one of the more recent versions, as in it would crash after that amount of time? Took time to find it if I recall, b/c no-one could keep it up for that long :wink:

Windows 95 would segfault after 49.97 days of continous uptime, yes