Haiku output audio quality problem

I’ve recently installed haiku on a lenovo laptop (y520).
everything seems fine but the output audio, sounds like it’s coming through a telephone, like as if it has a permanent band-pass filter applied to it or as if it’s not outputting the full range of frequencies.
it’s more noticeable when listening to music specially with a headphone connected through the headphone jack. there is absolutely no bass coming out compared to playing the same music on linux or windows on the same machine.
I’ve tried playing around with the options in media preferences and output frequency settings but nothing worked. i also tried “Open sound system” as well but it didn’t recognize my laptop’s sound card at all.

this is what listdev tells me about my audio device:

device Multimedia controller (Audio device) [4|3|0]
  vendor 8086: Intel Corporation
  device a171: CM238 HD Audio Controller

now i don’t know if this is a limitation of the OS itself or its a bug or a problem with my device and i didn’t see it getting mentioned anywhere so i’m asking here.

thanks

It could be a bug in the driver, you can look at the driver source code:

https://cgit.haiku-os.org/haiku/tree/src/add-ons/kernel/drivers/audio/hda?id=beb5d397760790b5632d6c8bba0c5551b347f92e

1 Like

well, after playing around with the settings a little more, i found out that the headphone jack audio only works fine when i mute “speaker” in the “output” tab of the HDA settings.
not sure if it’s the same case for playing audio from the laptop speakers directly. (because my laptop speakers already sound like a telephone)

don’t know why this happens and i don’t have the right knowledge to look into the driver source code but i noticed that the hda.settings file was missing in my install.

Experiment with bitrate (48kHz, 96kHz, 192kHz), since a mismatch between user setting and actual hardware capabilities can force resampling which adds noise and pops. There is also a 44.1kHz setting which in most cases (other than CD-Audio playback) should be ignored.

3 Likes