Haiku OS Community Discord Server

Haiku OS Community Discord Server

Welcome to the unofficial Haiku OS Community Discord Server thread! We hope to see you there.

What is Discord?
Discord is a instant messaing and VoIP application that is entirely free to use. While the main cohort of this is gamers, it can be used for other reasons, we’re not the only open source project using Discord, there are many of them. For many people, Discord has become a fundamental part of their daily routine and participate in conversations actively.

Where can I join it?
You can join it by going to https://discord.gg/UHMy8WQ .

Are you official?
Unfortunately not, we are merely creating something that we believe should exist and represent Haiku OS in a good light. We hope this could help Haiku reach new audiences and connect people that aren’t used to IRC but other forms of IM.

Why is your server better than IRC?
It all comes down to preference, not everyone is used to IRC, some of us are used to Slack, Discord, Direct Messaging in social media applications. This is merely an alternative.

What features does this have?
We have a Reddit post tracker channel, Voice and Music channels, bots, custom emotes and general chatter.

I don’t like it, I would rather use IRC
That’s up to you, not everyone likes the same things.

3 Likes

Please update the invite link

I don’t have invite privilages but it’s supposed to be listed in the directory on Discord.

Searching on Discord I don’t find anything directly related to #haiku, never used it though :slight_smile:

This post is a few years old and I think the admin for the Discord “server” decided to close it since then.

1 Like

No, it’s still active; I’m still in it (though I mostly just check it now and again, it’s not very active.)

If anyone wants to join try this link : Haiku Community
I am not sure if it still works.

1 Like

I’ve got Abaddon to work! At the moment though, the build system does not work correctly yet and it links stuff statically that could be in it’s on shared library. Also sound does not work, as abaddon uses miniaudio. I’ll have a look at implementing a Haiku-compatible sound backend in miniaudio, but it consists of one header that’s 3,82MiB in size, which will be fun /s

4 Likes

As that evil Discord thingy won’t magically go away unfortunately,as it seems,I feel like it’s time to put those links into the room again…
https://spyware.neocities.org/articles/discord
https://stallman.org/discord.html
For those who like the user experience,it’s maybe nice to know that you can access the official Haiku IRC chat room (with many more users and content) on Matrix,their flagship client https://element.io looks and behaves similar to Discord but is free software,and Matrix itself is an open standard.
Can’t recommend it enough in that context.

1 Like

I would warn against using element on android, or basically anything important to you, as it shows signs of being an impossible-to-remove rootkit.

Also everybody should take into consideration how secure can be something, which packages a whole webbrowser (eg. electron application) as a runtime.

1 Like

Didn’t know that. I hate bloat.
Iirc Element (and Telegram) crashed my whole Android. I don’t know how that is possible technically.

How is element a rootkit because of an android bug?

4 Likes

100% correct.
That being said,there are also many other Matrix clients you can use instead.
Matrix allows that because it is an open standard,which Discord isn’t.
I personally like Fluffychat on the phone and Quaternion on desktop computers,that one isn’t based on Electron or any webbrowser bloat.
Electron is just the most popular client,and the one that makes it easy for people coming from Discord.

Yes, you have right, not just element but every rootkit relies on bugs in the host OS. Thanks.

No.

If they did this on purpose you could argue it, but they clearly didn’t, and they don’t exhibit any characteristics of a rootkit either.

Element may not be a quality software but calling it a rootkit is unfair and unfounded.

3 Likes

Needig rooting the phone to get it rid clearly checks some boxes for me, but this goes nowhere.

Complain to google that android is defective then…

1 Like

I apologize for my late reply. I no longer use discord for a long time hence I have no idea what happened to the server.