Haiku on Samsung Galaxy Book 2

Hi
I just bought a Samsung Galaxy Book 2 laptop, model 750-XED. It has a 12Gen Intel Core i5, Iris Graphics, and 2 USB C and 2 USB3.2 ports One of the first things I tried was booting Haiku, but with no success. It was difficult to even get Linux running, mainly because of problems with the sleep states and the built-in NVMe drive. (After switching the SSD, EndeavourOS was the best choice for now).
When I load Haiku, it doesn’t even light up the kernel icon. I tried switching off some safe mode options, to no avail. If I toggle safe mode video, it reboots. If I enable on screen syslog, it doesn’t show anything.
Is there any way I can get some log or information to know what’s happening so I can at least open a ticket?

1 Like

The “kernel” icon failing to light means that the bootloader-kernel handoff did not succeed (possibly the kernel did not even get loaded and started at all.) There’s a subset of UEFI hardware on which this seems to happen, and I don’t know that anyone’s really tried to figure out what’s going wrong. Debugging it may require a serial line…

1 Like

There is no need to attach a log if you don’t have one. Just open the ticket and a dev will tell you if there is more info you can provide. (this may possibly even be test utils in newer builds not available yet)

1 Like

I saw some of the EFI loader source code and learned about the UEFI Serial IO Protocol. Digging a bit online, I found there is an FTDI USB driver made available by TianoCore (found out here). I don’t have a serial to USB adapter, but I do have an Arduino Leonardo, which has 2 serial ports, and a SparkFun RedBoard, which happens to have an FTDI adaptor. Basically, I used the RedBoard as an FTDI breakout board to use on the Galaxy Book 2, and the Leonardo as an adapter to read whatever came from the notebook. This setup wasn’t great because it added some garbage to the incoming text, but was enough to get a glimpse of what was happening.
With this setup, I loaded an EFI Shell on the PC (from an EndeavourOS USB drive I had), loaded the FTDI driver and set it up, and ran the Haiku Loader.
Surprisingly, the driver worked with the loader. Even more surprisingly, Haiku booted straight up from the shell. I repeated this without the serial port, and indeed loading Haiku directly from the FW didn’t work, but from the EFI Shell worked just fine!
I would still like to know why this doesn’t work with the FW, but it doesn’t seem to be any exposed serial port.

4 Likes