Haiku on Patreon

I think it would be great to be able to make donations to Haiku via Patreon.

you can already make donations through haiku-os.org though

Being able to donate to Haiku on haiku-os.org is great, but for recurring monthly donations Patreon is a better idea! Having to donate every month to Haiku on the website takes time and sometimes we forget. Having something like Patreon frees us from remembering to donate every month and at the same time, Haiku Inc would have a more consistent income flow!

Solus OS, Ubuntu Mate and Elementary OS all have Patreon accounts, why not Haiku? If Haiku had a Patreon page, I would be a monthly contributor! What say ye Haiku demi-gods?

There are no demi-gods here. Only some skilled developers, who have nothing to do with how Haiku is funded, and a very small group of volunteers trying to keep Haiku, inc running.

The Haiku, inc website has a way to setup recurring donations through either paypal or amazon payments (http://haiku-inc.org/donations.html). They also allow you to donate through Flattr and of course you can also setup an automated transfer from your bank (well, at least I can do so from mine).

If you look at Patreon more closely, you will see that it is not a donation platform. It is a crowdfunding platform, which works a little differently. Basically, it allows donators a behind-the-scene access or other special rewards. And, they also take 5% of the amount you donate for themselves.

Is that 5% fee and the effort to create rewards contents worth it? I don’t know, maybe. But you don’t have to convince me anyway, you have to convince the people running Haiku, inc.

I miss a way to make donation directly to a bank number (IBAN) and not with credit card or other

You can blame US banks for not using IBAN. The only thing Haiku, inc could do is open a bank account somewhere in Europe to get one where IBAN can be used, I guess.

As mentionned on their website, direct transfer have a fee of $12 per transfer, so they accept it only for big donations.

But, you can donate to the HSA using IBAN, and your money will be used wisely as well (to fund coding sprints, for example).