Haiku on Mac

I guess so. If I put the stick with 32bit Haiku in, it shows as „Windows“ in the boot selector whereas the 64bit one shows as EFI.
I believe I read somewhere that this was meant as a compatibility mechanism for bootcamp.

It might be an issue with NVRAM AND/or SMC. I would suggest resetting them, charging the battery at 100% and plug the power chord.

Looks correct

The MacMini obviously doesn’t have a battery. I wonder it it is where both monitors are plugged in? The Mini is a late 2012 and basically has the exact same hardware as the MacBook Pro. If the mini boot in theory the Pro should. But I’d take the Mini as that is no less convenient.

I will have another go tomorrow. My netbook will boot 32bit haiku and I can actually read the screen (the surface is ridiculously high res and I need to get around to setting a better resolution. It also only has the one USB port so I can’t boot easily with both external drives and WiFi)

Yeah that blacklist was all I needed.

Onboard NIC works so actually pretty nice over all.

The only weird thing was it refuses to recognise my Mac Keyboard- but a random old Dell one works fine.

1 Like

Okay, boots fine from the original USB stick, but it KDLs from the internal drive.

I just used the EFI partition that was already there so I will try one last time to start again from scratch and copy the partitions from the USB stick.

It actually boots if I use the USB stick and remove the bfs partition (as can’t access the boot menu at all), so the drive is fine. I will dry writing the image directly to the drive later.

Don’t write the Image straight to the drive, you end up with a very small BFS partition and you can‘t resize it meaning you will run out of diskspace quickly.

This worked for me:

1. boot from usb stick
  2. use the drive setup program to create one EFI partition (name it EFIBOOT, format as fat32) and one BFS partition for the system, name it Haiku.
  3. Use the Installer app to copy the OS to the Haiku partition
  4. Mount the haiku esp partition from the stick and the new EFIBOOT one from the system disk, then copy everything over from haiku esp.
  5. Restart, you should be EFI booting Haiku now without the stick
1 Like

Sadly, this is is what I tried. I had to do the same for the Surface 2 Pro. I need to try booting from the installer written to the hard drive and see if that works. I will just use the spare space to create a bigger volume if it works. I will format the small part to FAT so I can use it to copy stuff between MacOS and Haiku.

Otherwise using the USB stick to boot is not ideal but a workable solution.

I did notice under MacOS Disk Utility, the drive was marked as being “f disk format” EFI, so maybe setting the drive up from scratch will work. I never wiped and redid the EFI partition map.

Update - I got it to boot to a stable desktop, but only by using the key as a “boot floppy”. It will not boot from the EFI installed on the actual drive at all. Always fails at the same point.

Now you’re talking again of the MBP, aren’t you?
I admit I’m a bit lost, could you provide a quick summary of the status and the steps that brought you there? Please include also any info on the partition layout, specs, and more.
I’m still minded that Haiku should work on this machine by tweaking some steps or settings.

Well no - the MacMini will not boot from the EFI installed on the internal drive, it will only boot with the EFI on a USB stick. The MBP just doesn’t want to know either way and fails even with USB.

I have given up with the MBP, because the Mini is fine and I am generally sitting at a desk in my office when I am doing anything with Haiku anyway. I can use the Surface Pro 2 if I want mobile. A lot of what I am trying to set up under Haiku is building old BeOS PowerPC apps, so the Mac’s that run BeOS are under the same desk and not mobile anyway.

I see. There is no reason why the Mini could not boot from the internal drive. There must be something wrong with the EFI partition type or the entire layout, then.

A small note here… newer Mac’s have the proprietary T2 security chip which prevent access to the keyboard and some other stuff without it being initialized.

Apple hardware isn’t the greatest thing to try and support when basic stuff fights you :slight_smile:. While I strongly support running Haiku anywhere, your best chances are on non-Apple hardware.

2 Likes

This is a known problem on a lot of Mac hardware, there’s a ticket:

https://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/13205

I will probably have access to a Macbook Pro (intel) in the autumn. I plan to take a look at least.

1 Like

Okay - that does seem slightly different, but I will have a proper read tomorrow. This is an immediate crash, but booting with the EFI from the USB drive I have not seen it crash yet.

I don’t have time at the moment to describe, but here I had the same issue with being able to boot with USB and install, but not boot from the internal drive. I haven’t attempted using a bless tool to get away with not using boot camp, but idk if you need that if you aren’t dual booting OSX and Haiku.

The fix is to write the bootloader to another key and then use that to boot the installed OS. That seems to “just work”. What I didn’t yet try is installing everything to an external USB drive (it will be a spinning disk as I have a bunch of those) and seeing if it will boot from that. It makes no sense if that then fails. It must be something to do with how something is initialised - but not sure why the USB and the “scsi” (SATA) is being treated so differently on boot. Feels like something is being set up incorrectly when it uses the SATA disk to initialise the hardware I guess?

My guess would be that the firmware on the machine is intiializing things differently when booting from USB, and that our code does not have much to do with it. I could be wrong, of course, it is just a guess.

On our side there is pretty much no difference at all: the bootloader is loaded from either USB or SATA (this is done by the firmware). After that, it is pretty much the same code doing the same things: loading the kernel from the SATA disk and starting it.

To be fair, this is using OpenCore to boot, so it could be doing something completely different from whatever MacOS usually does. It is specifically trying to make a Mac boot an OS it isn’t supposed to be able to (Ventura in this case) and given Haiku refuses to boot in any way if I don’t use OpenCore makes me think you are totally right. Haiku booting at all seems to be a quirk of whatever they are doing to force MacOS to boot…