Haiku on Intel-Mac **without** virtual machine?

I just got Haiku running with VMWare, but I’d rather boot straight into it with bootcamp or something similar.

Is this possible?

• Chase

With bootcamp, this probably is possible; bootcamp emulates a bios. What I’d do is just dd the image onto the partition.

Well, I wouldn’t do this without double, triple checking all steps, but…

Make a new partition with bootcamp, as if you’re about to install windows. Then, use the command ‘mount’ in the terminal to found the mounted partitions; not the ‘/dev/’… filename that corresponds with the disk you chose. Then do a ‘sudo dd if=haiku.image of=/dev/ads…’, where /dev/ads… is the filename you noted before.

Cheers! -Duane.

Mac user since 1984, i’m also highly interested in this Operating System! iIt could be great to launch Haïku with Bootcamp.

Haïku Rules! You rules!

I’m still not sure my ‘method’ actually works! eek

1. Create a partition (create a new container and partition using Apple Disk Utility)
  2. Insert USB Stick with Haiku installed on it (I am using balenaEtcher to write image)
  3. Press ALT during boot to show MacOS Bootloader. (Haiku will probably show either EFI or as Windows)
  4. Boot Haiku from your USB, install as usual. Maybe boot to Desktop first and check whats working).
  5. Boot into macOS and download and install rEFInd (you probably need to boot Mac into recovery mode to be able to write changes to disk/rom).
  6. Restart and boot Haiku (or MacOS)

haiku_loader.efi hangs at this point #14453 (Cannot boot UEFI images on a Mac) – Haiku
So one needs to boot to rEFInd boot loader first and start haiku_loader.efi from it.

Will this affect drivers? Because I can only boot using Windows in low res, no wifi etc?

Boot using Windows? Not sure I follow you here. Some drivers are broken in UEFI mode while they work in BIOS mode. Luckily, rEFInd allows me to boot Haiku using either mode.

What version of MacOS do you have installed? My MacBook Pro is Catalina and has a partition with an older version on it (Sierra or High Sierra) I was looking at booting but whenever I’ve looked in to rEFInd it seemed like it was not going to work for me because Catalina is in a APFS container and the (High?) Sierra is not. This Macbook is a bit odd ball because it has two drives, one in place of the DVD Drive, and the one on the primary SATA port is ~240GB SSD with only Windows on it, the Mac stuff is on a 1TB drive in a caddy in the DVD slot. I was thinking about eventually getting a new drive and replacing the Windows install, but don’t really have the ability to do that at the moment.