Haiku on Apple Silicon (VM)

Can we now or are there plans to be able to run Haiku in a VM on Apple Silicon.

For instance, brand new M2 based MBP running Ventura OS, can I run Haiku on VMWare, Parallels, etc.?

Just curious…Thanks!

1 Like

If you can create a x86-64 vm in any of those softwares, Haiku should run without much complications.

2 Likes

I personally use UTM on my M1 Air and iMac and it works pretty well, but you’re still virtualizing x86_64 so performance won’t be the best but is still quite usable.

1 Like

I ran across that after posing my question. Seems to work ok (at least on my Intel Mac)…thanks!

UTM runs Haiku on MacBook Air M2 with the limitstions of being emulated and not virtualised.

Looking forward to Haiku (ARM) running on Parallels.

Also, have anyone tried running Haiku (RISC-V) on UTM?

I’ve tried an old RISC-V image a few months ago both on a 2019 MacBook 15” top of the line (Core i9) and an M1 MacBook Pro with the lates QEMU available (not UTM).
The M1 performed incredibly well if compared to the i9 but there were some glitches every now and then and a few problems with the integrated trackpad (sometimes the pointer was unresponsive or jumping randomly across the screen).
I assume that the RISC-V emulation under the M1 is particularly fast.

1 Like

I thought ‘RISC-V’ was the hardware?

• Native M1,M2 are arm64 (aarch64)
    • Haiku has an early arm64 port that kinda boots in qemu-system-aarch64
    • Haiku arm64 would likely need a bunch of Apple specific things to natively boot and we don’t have any hardware to test on.
  • Haiku x86_64 works in any x86_64 compatible emulator (even on Mac M1, M2 platforms… just slowly)
  • Haiku riscv64 runs on any riscv64 compatible emulator (even on Mac M1, M2 platforms… just slowly)

tldr; it doesn’t matter what architecture the emulator is running on… as long as the emulator is creating an architecture environment the OS is expecting.

3 Likes

Probably need to get the porting efforts going again…

1 Like