Haiku on a tablet

Good day,

So here are some images I just took:
IMG_20200522_230055650 IMG_20200522_230111907 IMG_20200522_230149619
This tablet works ok on Haiku, though as you can see, the image is rotated 90 degrees, and there is no way to use it like that. Trackpad does not match screen, so it’s trial and error to get to the menus.
It’s important to notice that this tablet has an Atom processor and just 4GB of RAM, and boots quite fast on Haiku. I mean, boots faster than my Ryzen box, and I’m not talking a bit faster, I’m talking noticeable faster.

Touchscreen does not work, not with fingers, nor with the stylus, and while it’s not an issue with Haiku at the moment, it might be later on. I mean, right now this tablet has Linux installed, and Haiku performs better, but I don’t have pen input nor touch to do drawing, which is what I use the tablet for.

Nonetheless, first things first: If anyone can point me in the right direction to get the right screen rotation, I rather have Haiku installed there, and then work from that situation up providing any info towards getting touch input available on Haiku.

As always, any comment/help appreciated.
Regards,
RR

4 Likes

Screen rotation is an unimplemented enhancement, it seems: https://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/14510

I see @waddlesplash . I went through the ticket which seems to be a year old. Is there anything I can do to help on this matter?

Regards,
RR

Is this one related too?
https://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/13193

Do you have some more insight as to what needs to be done to implement screen rotation? The information in that bug is pretty vague. I’d like to give it a try if someone would guide me a bit in the beginning. I’m a senior developers with 20+ years experience developing native apps in C++. My time is very limited but I’d love to make some contributions to Haiku.

1 Like

@X512 Genius!!!

The best way to implement this has not been determined. Probably the best method would involve changes to the scanline renderer or something like that, but it has not been discussed, hence why the ticket is so vague.

This will not work with BDirectWindow and screenshots/screen capture.

I guess even if we have drivers that can do rotation we’d have to have a fallback for those which don’t like VESA…

Simplest solution to perform screen rotation without hardware support is to perform rotation while coping screen backbuffer to frontbuffer (https://git.haiku-os.org/haiku/tree/src/servers/app/drawing/HWInterface.cpp#n381). Also rotation will be needed for screen capture (https://git.haiku-os.org/haiku/tree/src/servers/app/drawing/DrawingEngine.cpp#n1503). BDirectWindow software screen rotation support is not possible and it should be disabled.

2 Likes

BDirectWindow has a buffer_orientation parameter which apps could handle if they wanted to.

Then you’ll want an ePaper driver :smiley:

Good day,

I’ve reviewed the BIOS of this tablet to check if something there could be altered in order to get the default rotation to allow Haiku to work, no way.

Funny thing though, is that BIOS appears in landscape mode, and the Linux I use on this tablet starts on portrait mode, as Haiku does, but at the login screen changes rotation to landscape, presumably after detecting (gyroscope?) the screen is rotated.

Let me know if need any info that I could provide regarding this matter.

Regards,
RR

2 Likes

Good day,

So after testing with the beta and not being able to install on the tablet because finally I discovered that the storage is eMMC, I went with the latest nightly yesterday.

With the nightly, I can’t get to desktop by no means, and Haiku takes ages to boot, I mean, since turn on to get the Haiku Logo on the screen. The nightly ISO was burned to the USB with Etcher.

Once the boot process starts, it ends up stalling at the stage “Loading CPU specific modules”. Nothing happens afterwards. I rebooted letting the debugger show messages on the screen and the stall takes place at an ACPI process stage.

I have to retest with the beta because at least it boots and check the devices list in order to properly file a bug, then test with the nightly and at least take a pic of the stalled process screen to add to the bug report. Syslog and Syslog.old can only be acquired through the Beta, I presume, as nightly doesn’t reach desktop.

(Tried with OpenSuse Leap and boots fine, though I have the feeling that this tablet is becoming flakier and flakier by the day -Asus no more… Apple neither-)

Regards,
RR

Please take screenshots (ideally of the whole boot process, screen by screen) and create a bugreport about it.

1 Like

Good day @PulkoMandy,

I tried yesterday with the nightly and it booted again with nightly 552O6. With the R1|beta3 no boot at all:

As before, Haiku loads in portrait mode instead of landscape making it hard to do anything ‘out of the box’. This rotation affects the trackpad too, meaning that the trackpad matches the screen rotation.

As seen in the first screenshot, DriveSetup doesn’t see any internal storage device, it’s an eMMC.
Also, from the listusb I can’t see the touchscreen, so might not be usb.

I’ll add the files to the Ticket #17042 (Storage [eMMC] not available on Asus 2in1 Tablet) – Haiku regarding the eMMC stuff.

The biggest issue besides the fact that Haiku is not yet installable on this device is the screen rotation. With the proper rotation and the storage availability this would be a light device to carry around.

Actually, Haiku would be very usable on touch devices with the deskbar icons a bit bigger so can be selected with fingers. @apgreimann, better with Haiku than with a linux distro :wink:

Regards,
RR

2 Likes

The DeskBar icons size is adjustable in DeskBar preferences. At least this part is an easy fix :slight_smile:

3 Likes

:rofl: That’s an easy fix [tell me about it :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: - I always increase the icon size… eyes issues :nerd_face:], but for the “blue leaf/feather”. It should scale accordingly to the Deskbar icon size preferences? At least I would like it to in order to keep the same format as the rest of the Deskbar items… :wink:

Let me know what other data I should gather in order to add to the ticket so Haiku can be installed there. Or any test I should carry.

Thanks!
Regards,
RR

The leaf and the icons in the system tray scale with the font size (in appearance preferences).

Bad, bad, bad… :rofl: I would “want” [more like than ‘want’] the leaf to scale with the rest of the Deskbar Icons [and hopefully, the Deskbar menu icons as well]… I wouldn’t need to have a 24px [or bigger] font size [at least, not for now :nerd_face:] for the leaf to be bigger, but a bigger leaf, matching the icon’s size would… in my personal opinion [of course]… add to the consistency of the Deskbar. Regarding this, I would add the 2px black outline also to the Leaf, to integrate it more with the rest of the Interface.

Bigger icons on the Leaf menu keeping the font size as ‘needed’ would increase readability as space between two adjacent items’ text would increase.

[We are going out of bounds here too … :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:]
Apologies.

Regards,
RR