Haiku netbook Compatibility Chart

hi,
everyone loves notebook ! and as some other sites (see http://www.mymacnetbook.com/compatibility-chart/)
why the haiku community dont do this ? a Haiku netbook Compatibility Chart to help buyers find a relevant hardware for Haiku.

I think that any compatibility chart like that would be awesome, I would totally get any netbook that is 100% compatible with haiku

This has some issues associated with it:

• It requires someone willing to maintain the chart full time.
  • Getting the information on whether a netbook is supported or not is non-trivial and requires people with the hardware to test it regularly.
  • The danger with one of these is that out of date information may get lost in it causing people to believe that hardware is unsupported but the hardware actually works because of changes since the information was provided.
  • Also you probably wont find one that you consider 100% compatible with haiku it may for example have graphics (VESA/native driver) issues that prevent screen resolutions, which do not prevent its use but do make people annoyed.

There is a lot of work associated with this kind of information and I do not know if there is anyone to do this work.

edit: I forgot to mention that haikuware.com has a hardware list but it may be out of date or contain incorrect information.

I’ve put some thought into this.

Haikuware will have an Ajax rating system for hardware > Haiku Compatible: Yes or No?

That way users can easily rate whether hardware works. Some users have different results for the same hardware.

I added about 550 items by going through Haiku’s driver sources of hardware that is *supposed to be supported. Some items, in reality don’t though. So, having users rate these hardware pieces is probably the best way to solve this issue.

I think the combination of voting and commenting should be sufficient to figure out what works/doesn’t - of course, this depends on people actually submitting info.

Should be in place by this weekend.

maybe we should ask http://www.mymacnetbook.com/compatibility-chart/ to know how they do ?
since netbook are easy do distiniguish (model and trademark), users have only to vote, as you said, for every device (wifi, bluetooth,card reader,ethernet, etc)

I don’t have an answer to the question who this info should be reported to. Regarding how to generate a list, I wonder if the Haiku user community could contribute their own experience with netbooks? I have to assume that Haiku users probably have a few netbooks around they could do some testing with.

I was thinking how to do this as well, maybe to just go a futureshop or bestbuy with a usb stick and just no nutz testing out the laptops?

it’s a good idea booting haiku, testing it and reporting results. but reporting to who ?

haha, that’s funny, but a great idea about going into future shop or best buy with a usb disk to test haiku on some netbooks! :wink:

Yeah, going into BesTBuy and testing their kit would get you thrown out of the store. Just keeping this thread on topic
would be the best bet. So heres what Ive found about laptops: wireless is not likely to work. PCMCIA is definitely not likely to
work since theres no “glue code” between the pcmcia socket and the wireless modules that exist. The atheros driver dosnt support
pcmcia cards, period. Typing this now on a HP pavillion dv6433cl laptop. Ethernet works, wireless isnt seen by Haiku “network” app.In fact the wireless light stays off. Heres the output of listdev:

Welcome to the Haiku shell.

listde~> listdev

device Serial bus controller (SMBus) [c|5|0]
vendor 8086: Intel Corporation
device 27da: N10/ICH 7 Family SMBus Controller

device Mass storage controller (SATA controller, AHCI 1.0) [1|6|1]
device 27c5: 82801GBM/GHM (ICH7 Family) SATA AHCI Controller

device Mass storage controller (IDE interface) [1|1|8a]
device 27df: 82801G (ICH7 Family) IDE Controller

device Bridge (ISA bridge) [6|1|0]
device 27b9: 82801GBM (ICH7-M) LPC Interface Bridge

device Network controller (Ethernet controller) [2|0|0]
device 1092: PRO/100 VE Network Connection

device Generic system peripheral [8|80|0]
vendor 1180: Ricoh Co Ltd
device 0852: xD-Picture Card Controller

device 0592: R5C592 Memory Stick Bus Host Adapter

device 0843: R5C843 MMC Host Controller

device Generic system peripheral (SD Host controller) [8|5|0]
device 0822: R5C822 SD/SDIO/MMC/MS/MSPro Host Adapter

device Serial bus controller (FireWire (IEEE 1394), OHCI) [c|0|10]
device 0832: R5C832 IEEE 1394 Controller

device Bridge (PCI bridge, Subtractive decode) [6|4|1]
device 2448: 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge

device Serial bus controller (USB Controller, EHCI) [c|3|20]
device 27cc: N10/ICH 7 Family USB2 EHCI Controller

device Serial bus controller (USB Controller, UHCI) [c|3|0]
device 27cb: N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #4

device 27ca: N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #3

device 27c9: N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #2

device 27c8: N10/ICH7 Family USB UHCI Controller #1

device Bridge (PCI bridge, Normal decode) [6|4|0]
device 27d2: N10/ICH 7 Family PCI Express Port 2

device Network controller [2|80|0]
device 4222: PRO/Wireless 3945ABG [Golan] Network Connection

device Bridge (PCI bridge, Normal decode) [6|4|0]
device 27d0: N10/ICH 7 Family PCI Express Port 1

device Multimedia controller (Audio device) [4|3|0]
device 27d8: N10/ICH 7 Family High Definition Audio Controller

device Display controller [3|80|0]
device 27a6: Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller

device Display controller (VGA compatible controller, VGA controller) [3|0|0]
device 27a2: Mobile 945GM/GMS, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller

device Bridge (Host bridge) [6|0|0]
device 27a0: Mobile 945GM/PM/GMS, 943/940GML and 945GT Express Memory Controller Hub
~>

Dont know if sound card works since theres no little wave file included with the live cd to try…HINT HINT.
Had to boot with safe mode video 800x600 16 and the APM and ACPI switches.
Not my laptop so I cant install it to do further testing on it.
Update: the sound card works. Had to restart Media Services and plug in a usb thumb-drive with a mp3 on it. Plays through the laptops speakers but NOT the two headphone jacks on the front. Also “network” can see the wireless card, since its listed in the drop-down menu but selecting it and clicking “apply” brings no joy. Not too bad though for an alpha release.

might want to add this here: http://www.haikuware.com/hardware/laptops

have about 60 laptops listed.

*edit: made a new category ‘netbooks’ moved the appropriate items from laptops into netbooks. I’ve also added additional fields in the add entry form suitable for laptops, netbooks and motherboards for each piece of hardware; i.e touchpad, wireless etc. and a works/doesn’t.