Haiku needs application similar to ''ms office'' application

i want to speak up shortly haiku needs a good office application like "ms office " i don’t want to ask you to imitate microsoft but to make a better office application with graet performance and flexibilty and features.i think open office , libre office or kingsoft won’t work. they can be used as base but haiku really need a fine application for office.and make booting time more short .and i am expecting new website look in the beginning of year 2013 and please remove that ugly piggy bank and put something else some type of more appealing and attractive.

We need a polished port of qt-based KOffice (free) and I think java-based ThinkFree Office works okay already (it’s shareware though). Having some kind of LibreOffice wouldn’t hurt too, I guess. You can always use web-based Google Docs and other solutions without installing anything on your hard drive.

The website look is quite nice, in my opinion - aesthetically pleasing without a lot of the bloated crap modern websites are suffering from. Certainly I don’t know by what authority you think you’ve a right to “expect” a new look on your timeframe…

do you think haiku has a few hundret programmers to make an office suite similar to the one of ms? I have no idea how such dreamers end up on the haiku site.
Even a native port of open office is something very very very very very very unlikely.

Even little programs are not actually written at the moment for haiku. So perhaps you dont really need to dream. The most programming that is done is related to the core system and not applications.

Think “jawadhassan” was right! I’ve tried to bring Haiku nearer to some of my colleagues at work. As i fire up their PC’s at home they was impressed how fast it is. The next question was: “What can we do with Haiku???”. Hmmmm, had to say sadly there’s no Office, Gimp or some equal popular free Software available for now.
“Cipri” was right with the problem of low amount of Developers. But, isn’t it possible to talk to the guys from other Projects, for example, LibreOffice? Do they even know Haiku?
Maybe someone of the 100’s Developers there will be infected with our Haiku-Fever.
It would be a shame if this great OS collapse because of rare “today’s standard” Software.
Also it would be a great honor for the Developers who invested a lot of time, sweat and i am sure a lot of trouble too, to see Haiku grow up as a replacement for Windows or Linux.

I agree with “commodorejohn” that the Homepage of Haiku is nice as it is. There are other Problems like Ticket #8533 that had to be solved. Sorry “jawadhassan”.

Well, what are you waiting for? Start coding! If you can’t code, gave the community $250,000 and I’m sure they will do a good job.

And yes, Haiku needs all of that but the site looks good and considering it all functions on donations, I think it’s more than a fantastic job what these guys are doing.

That was entertaining. Thank you, Nicolas

[quote=33Nick]Well, what are you waiting for? Start coding! If you can’t code, gave the community $250,000 and I’m sure they will do a good job.
[/quote]

What happened to Gobe office? Any news? Maybe they would sell the code for a lot less than 250k?

According to Wikipedia, it doesn’t like they make any money on it and haven’t much money from it for 10 years…

So what about a fundraiser to get access to the Gobe code? Sorry if this has been discussed before.

A nice office suite and a modern web-browser could be enough to drive Haiku adoption for “normal” users.

[quote=zipster][quote=33Nick]Well, what are you waiting for? Start coding! If you can’t code, gave the community $250,000 and I’m sure they will do a good job.
[/quote]

What happened to Gobe office? Any news? Maybe they would sell the code for a lot less than 250k?

According to Wikipedia, it doesn’t like they make any money on it and haven’t much money from it for 10 years…

So what about a fundraiser to get access to the Gobe code? Sorry if this has been discussed before.

A nice office suite and a modern web-browser could be enough to drive Haiku adoption for “normal” users.[/quote]

And who will be working on this code?

In the future for Haiku will be LibreOffice, ThinkFree Office and cloud, web solutions.

Dunno if can help, but TiltOS project already ported KDE apps:

http://tiltos.com/

This story makes me so mad. You seriously don’t know what you can do with Haiku?

You can use WonderBrush (it’s no longer shareware!) to create and edit images. It has powerful features, some of which aren’t even implemented in the GIMP yet. You can browse the Internet using a fast and standards compliant WebKit browser. You can watch any video file, including using YouTube, or listen to a music playlist. You can host a webpage using the INSANELY simple PoorMan web server. You can play video games or use an emulator or DosBox. You can use multiple desktops and tabbed windows, the full suite of GNU tools, Python, Ruby, Perl, bittorrent, instant messenger, ALMOST ANY JAVA APPLICATION including word processors, and on and on and on.

All of these things either come with Haiku or are easily installed as an optional package.

…and all you can say is “there’s no Office or GIMP”? GAAAHHH! O_o

Let’s be real. Without killer apps like a robust NATIVE office application, you are just playing around. I’m not an OS guy, I’m an end user who uses spreadsheets, presentation and word processing 90% of the time. The remainder of my computing goes to web browsing.

The OS is beautiful, its internals refined and logical. But until you can support guys like me, Haiku will never be anything but a plaything.

Start working now to develop a real porting architecture, or you will be working for naught.

[quote=kendalg]Let’s be real. Without killer apps like a robust NATIVE office application, you are just playing around. I’m not an OS guy, I’m an end user who uses spreadsheets, presentation and word processing 90% of the time. The remainder of my computing goes to web browsing.

The OS is beautiful, its internals refined and logical. But until you can support guys like me, Haiku will never be anything but a plaything.

Start working now to develop a real porting architecture, or you will be working for naught.[/quote]

I will agree to this: Haiku is not ready for people like you (end users, that is). These alpha releases are generally to attract developers to work on the project,and non-devs to support it or generate interest for it.

At this point, it’s very likely that NO ONE is using this as a primary desktop os, no one is using it for the things you mentioned. The priority now, I think, is to just get the system to a point where it’s really stable and complete. As of now it’s lacking some basic features, so those take priority over programs :slight_smile:

Anyway, I agree with you but Haiku still has a long, long way to go, and if I were a dev, I would be hesitant to invest my time and effort to an alpha project.

Not sure, but I think abiword works on Haiku? It’s not ideal though. Personally for my notes and word processing, I use leafpad or Pe.

ThinkFree runs under Haiku

…and what about Google Docs ?

http://docs.google.com/

I use google docs for non-critical stuff from home, and thinkfree is maturing quickly (they’ve only recently added pivot tables for instance). But I frequently will pull in data from dedicated local sql servers when building spreadsheets with frequently updated data. That’s not going to work with cloud software. However, I take your point that most people could use cloud based solutions.

In an office environment where there are power users and issues of data control and security, a cloud solution just doesn’t work. Interestingly, the local school system has moved to Google docs and away from MS office. I think that’s a great idea, but again, they have no worries about Johnny’s homework from a data security point of view.

Just my two cents. I love the project and I hope that it comes to fruition.

ThinkFree is fine, but it won’t print anything in HAIKU. What good is an office suite on HAIKU if the document has to be moved to another os just to print out a hard copy?

Is it possible to make the Web+ compatible with Office WebApps? Than we can use the Office 2010/2013 only tools.

GOBE Productive won’t be released in the foreseeable future. It can’t be open sourced because it has licensed 3rd party source that can’t be made public. The GOBE source code is really huge, and would require many man-months of dedicated work to port to Haiku/GCC.

Two office suite candidates are:
http://www.abisource.com/ (ABIWord)
and
http://www.calligra.org/ (KOffice)

Both would require a fair amount of development, but both has versions that ran on BeOS/Haiku in the past.

Other suites are listed here:

This is a wonderful article, Given so much info in it, These type of articles keeps the users interest in the website. keep on sharing and posting.

real targeted Twitter followers