Haiku needs a "Get Started" HOWTO

I’ve always been interested in trying out development for OpenBeOS (now Haiku) but the lack of a HOWTO in getting started has limited it’s appeal.

I believe that more people could ‘get the vibe’ that is developing on/with BeOS if the first step was quicker and easier.

Can this be a higher priority for Haiku?

I hear this all the time - that we need to help people get started. Can you be more specific, though? Do you need help with CVS? With coding style? With something else?

There are a lot of topics that could be considered part of “getting started”. If you have some specific questions that we can respond to, it will help us to help you. :smiley:

It’d be nice if there was a howto or something for setting up a developing enviroment. I’m trying to figure out which beos distribution etc. is best for it. :slight_smile:

mphipps wrote:
I hear this all the time - that we need to help people get started. Can you be more specific, though? Do you need help with CVS? With coding style? With something else?

Here’s the document I’d like to see :slight_smile:

Getting Started with Haiku

BEGINNER

Chapter 1: What is Haiku

Chapter 2: What does it require to run (x86/videocard/BeOS4?)

Chapter 3: Getting it running on a PC (or Mac with x86 emulator?)

INTERMEDIATE

Chapter 4: Getting the very latest version (CVS?)

ADVANCED

Chapter 5: Explanation of the different teams (app_server/BFS/game/etc)

Chapter 6: Setting up a development environment (step by step cvs/ssh/jam/ld?)

Chapter 7: Making a code change (example of change, recompile, test cycle)

Chapter 8: Required coding style (very brief overview with link to Coding Guideline URL)

Chapter 9: How to join a development team (contact leader, specify part to work on)

Chapter 10: How to check in a change (CVS/team communication/etc)

Something like this… I’d be happy to help out in writing it but unfortunately I don’t know where to get all this information to compile the document :?

Any ideas folks?

I think you’ll find if not all of that is covered on the web site …

Chapter 1: What is Haiku
See Home Page.

Chapter 2: What does it require to run (x86/videocard/BeOS4?)

x86 - BeOS Installation. This will all change when we do have a distro.
Or refer to the Haiku Build Factory

Chapter 3: Getting it running on a PC (or Mac with x86 emulator?)

When we have something to install, those instructions will advise. As for emulation, I’ll be doing documentation on getting Haiku working on Microsoft’s Virutal PC.

Chapter 4: Getting the very latest version (CVS?)

Please refer to this newsletter article - hey I wrote it :slight_smile: - How to Get “OBOS”

Chapter 5: Explanation of the different teams (app_server/BFS/game/etc)

Meet the Teams with brief description.

Chapter 6: Setting up a development environment (step by step cvs/ssh/jam/ld?)

Refer to Newsletter article or the Develop section on the site.

Chapter 7: Making a code change (example of change, recompile, test cycle)

All changes to code are to be submitted to the Team Leader. If you are code is well received and you have proven yourself to be a good coder - you will be granted write access to the CVS tree.

Chapter 8: Required coding style (very brief overview with link to Coding Guideline URL)

See the Coding Style Guidelines on the Develop section on the site.

Chapter 9: How to join a development team (contact leader, specify part to work on)

Email the Mailing List, Post on the Forums or Email one of the Team Leaders of the team you think you can help out in.

Chapter 10: How to check in a change (CVS/team communication/etc)

Refer Chapter 7

Hope that helps.

great, Sikosis, now just flesh that out a bit and give it to the website team.

Thanks Sikosis!

The link to How to Get “OBOS” is right along the lines of what I am looking for. A good point by point instruction on how to get OpenBeOS running.

MouriceNo1 is right about it being fleshed out and put up on the site. A Microsoft Virtual PC walkthrough would be fantastic!

A couple of questions:

What is the Haiku Build Factory? (couldn’t find any references on the site)

When do you think a distro will be available?

How is it possible to work on - say - the app_server if OpenBeOS only boots to CLI?

Thanks again for your help on this Sikosis! :slight_smile:

An alternative “Getting Started” document:
http://home.tiscali.nl/mahlzeit/gettingstarted.html

^-- yes, this is a must read document 8)

What is the Haiku Build Factory? (couldn’t find any references on the site)

It’s a site where all things relating to the latest nightly/daily build of Haiku, its kernel and its various parts. From the factory is produced a Floppy Disk Release that can be booted on x86 machines, as well as the Distro, everything that is built fresh as well as the Jam packages, which are driver installers.

When do you think a distro will be available?

How long is a piece of string ? or should I say all good things …

How is it possible to work on - say - the app_server if OpenBeOS only boots to CLI?

BeOS! It’s our existing development platform - after all R5 is our R1 goal.

Sikosis wrote:
As for emulation, I'll be doing documentation on getting Haiku working on Microsoft's Virutal PC.

I was going to ask this (compatibility with VPC) but it seems - I didn’t need to. :slight_smile: Good, since VPC compatibility is a ‘must’ for me to be in as a developer.

Quote:
Hope that helps.

It did. When can we expect a decent pre-distro of Haiku?

-ak

Just thought I’d let you know, I have just created a wiki version of the “HowTo Get Haiku” article.

You will find it here:-

http://haiku-os.org/wiki/index.php?title=GetHaiku

Sikosis wrote:
Just thought I'd let you know, I have just created a wiki version of the "HowTo Get Haiku" article.

You will find it here:-

http://haiku-os.org/wiki/index.php?title=GetHaiku

Glad to see you went with my Wiki backed suggestion (MediaWiki) then :slight_smile:

I use MediaWiki for work as a collabarative document managment tool - does the job extremely well and cheaply - one old PIII box with SuSE on it.

Also, remember that MediaWiki DOES NOT need CamelCased page names. They can be freeform.

Yeh you’ll have to thank Kurtis for MediaWiki … I must say … it’s the nicest wiki I’ve used.

Sikosis wrote:
Yeh you'll have to thank Kurtis for MediaWiki ... I must say ... it's the nicest wiki I've used.

I know its nice, thats why I recommended it - I don’t want the OS I’ll be using everyday to have a shite wiki :slight_smile:

anyways, back to fixing Terminal2. If anyones interested it now has an R5-like GUI for most of the settings, just they don’t all work yet :frowning: