Haiku, Inc. has hired an existing contributor to work on Haiku full-time! | Haiku Project

One of these (the XHCI one) I do intend to investigate. The one with a kernel crash is an assert, I’m pretty sure, and only happens on debug builds, so it isn’t an issue on beta builds (though of course it should be fixed.)

The I/O stalls are indeed annoying but I don’t know if anyone has really had a lot of success investigating it. It’s not especially high on my priority list, but we’ll see, I guess.

11 Likes

@waddlesplash or @tqh, regarding Haiku on ARM64, I have a PineBook that I’m not using that I’d be happy to donate to one of you to help with the porting effort, if you want. I think I have their funky audio to USB serial cable too.

8 Likes

I don’t think I need any ARM64 hardware at the moment. I don’t think I am the right person to get all drivers working.

Interestingly I have a PinePhone from the start of the year here too not being used… I have the USB connector, keyboard, mouse so might also be a good candidate.

3 Likes

Could boost developement alot if Waddlesplash helps Zenja and other Haiku native App developer to get a production ready status soon.

Could help for Blender, Godot, Scribus, maybe?

1 Like

Also, don’t forget, you can contribute via smile.amazon.com and pick Haiku, Inc. as your charity.

2 Likes

Congratulations, Waddlesplash!!! Happy for you, and for Haiku!

5 Likes

Fantastic news, that Waddlesplash is able to work full time on Haiku.
I am just a user who finds Haiku a joy to use.
I really like the serenity os developers vlog (which I watch from Haiku) and their attitude, which is that developers work on whatever they find fun.

6 Likes

Now this is good news. Just created a PayPal subscription!

7 Likes

Congratulation Waddlesplash and congratulation Haiku Project.

Do Haiku have more payed developers?

Currently, Waddlesplash is the only paid developer, but if it goes well then I’m sure Haiku Inc. will definitely consider another paid developer - of course, that’s dependent on how many donations we get as well :slight_smile:

1 Like

Correct. Haiku, Inc. has been saving donation funds for ~5-10 years now to be able to hire a full time developer at a somewhat reasonable salary. It’s why we really wanted to target someone who had a history of contributing to Haiku. We wanted someone who could “hit the ground running” since these donation initial funds were so hard-fought to save.

One idea is if waddlesplash works out well and we attract more donation funds, we’ll be in a better place to continue paying full time positions into the future.

Every amount helps at scale. Even $5/month.

11 Likes

Congratulation Waddlesplash! Well earned position.

I nominate PulkoMandy for #2 Employee.

5 Likes

I think he currently has a job he’s happy with. Maybe if Haiku Inc. can raise enough to offer two competitive salaries . . .

I am not interested in a contract job that will only last a few months. I have a stable long term job that pays well and gives me a reasonable amount of free time to work on Haiku and other projects. At the moment I do not want to leave it.

15 Likes

I just read through the list of hard tasks and if virtualization and sleep mode worked I would switch in a heartbeat. 3D acceleration is nice, but other things are more important IMHO.

If only Haiku could attract the support of a large company or a billionaire.

5 Likes

Why so negative, first step is done more will follow.
Looks very good at the moment.

1 Like

You’re right, this in itself is absolutely amazing. I’m just impatient and long for the days of computer operating systems that don’t suck.

11 Likes

How can we make working on Web+ more fun?

Working on documentation and associated dev tooling to lower the entry effort? (btw I have setup an OpenGrok instance dedicated to Haiku main repositories: haiku, buildtools, haikuwebkit)
In parallel maybe communicate on this doc and tooling effort, and on the progress of Web+ and any other app using HaikuWebkit?
Have coding sprints dedicated to Web+?

3 Likes