Haiku, Inc. has hired an existing contributor to work on Haiku full-time! | Haiku Project

This is great! Good luck @waddlesplash. IMO I feel that we should give him some slack, start the first weeks with something that you want to fix/work on. I hope you can keep the passion and the flame. Looking forward to read about the progress in the future.

9 Likes

it is listed, but in the last one in ā€œunscheduledā€

Mine is not a wish, but more a suggestion for 3D acceleration
in my opinion it would be better to work directly on Vulkan support, since Zink already exists for openGL support on top of Vulkan, and also we have DXVK on Vulkan for directx (lately with the DXVK native version it allows an easy porting of games for windows on linux, this means that potentially even on HAIKU the conversion will be easier.)

that said, good luck!

2 Likes

other than that, good luck to the new contributor ^^ , the haiku will definitely improve a lot and we expect more contributors in the future

I am open to anything that results in less work for me. Then I can spend more time doing other things instead. And you will probably be in a better position to give some context to what youā€™re doing, I may not have time to follow on all changes if thereā€™s someone working full time.

2 Likes

Congratulations @waddlesplash - this is great news! May you - and Haiku - see great success.

Nice. Congratulations @waddlesplash , Perhaps Move WebPositive from WebKit 1.x to 2.x would fit that description? :wink:

Looked at HardTasks ā€“ Haiku (haiku-os.org) and WebKit are there. for me 3D Hardware support are at the bottom on that list. Both Webkit and multi monitor are things used day to day, even Accelerated Hardware Virtualization would be intresting if that will enable me to run Windows in Haiku :smiley: other than that, Update the Intel grafic driver to support latest gpuā€¦

1 Like

Congratulations Augustin. I hope we can fund permanent development for you and others for many many years (and grow a team). Iā€™ve contributed funds in the past and will continue to do so.

Iā€™m sure there are many great ideas of work priorities in the community, and Iā€™m sure you have your own list,I guess I can suggest my personal wishes (feel free to ignore):

1. mountable user encrypted disk images which symlink to /home. The proper way to segregate user data + configs.

2. USB webcam support (and microphone), as a BMediaProducer. Pipe to 2 various BMediaConsumers, a save to disk consumer and stream to network consumer. As a BMediaNode we can insert a effects node inbetween to do effects like background removal, colour correction etc.

3. Improve BScreenRecorder to capture desktop videos properly. X512 in a forum post got it to use ffmpegā€™s x264 encoder at 30fps, but I havenā€™t seen this distributed. Working screen recording will allow the community to record and distribute more YouTube videos.

4. Better Fuse integration with Tracker (for graphical SFTP, CiFS, NFS and other network sharing options).

5. TUN and OpenVpn support.

6. Deskbar needs 20 years of usabilty updates ;). It needs Quicklaunch permanent icons, one click access, etc.

7. a proper lock screen

8. multiscreen AppServer.

999 ) I saw your HackerNews programming language comment. Just an FYI. Iā€™ve started working on an Actor based PL document+compiler, think Pony without GC, with compiler validated locking mechanisms for sharing resources, with C-like syntax. But this is 4 years down the road for me, I need to dog-food the syntax properly by developing a full IDE with it (Actor based with Vulkan bindings - I do professional graphics Engines and have a great Vulkan based Gui ready but itā€™s C++17 based with Actors and that combination is a minefield (but the performance is amazing). Did you know BeAPI is Actor based even though Benoit Schillings probably never heard of Carl Hewitt or Joe Armstrong in 1993?

16 Likes

Congratulations @waddlesplash, very good news!

Great news!
I agree with @Zenja that good screen capture would help boost the amount of new demo videos and hopefully bring new users who do not experiment with OS installations and self-learning.

2 Likes

Congratulations to @waddlesplash for getting the job! Really liking that itā€™s for general development too, so thereā€™s a lot of flexibility in what he could work on.

1 Like

Congratulations @waddlesplash with getting the chance to work full time with Haiku!

I hope you will be able to stick with what you suggested on the mailing list: https://www.freelists.org/post/haiku-inc/Employment-contract-proposal-general-longterm-development

And personally I hope that you will be able to work as much as possible with Haiku itself and not so much with the surrounding ecosystem, website and more. I hope for better USB audio and video support for video conferencing, multihead support in app_server, and as one that has a laptop with 4K screen: better HiDPI support.

Looking forward to see your progress!

2 Likes

It was reported that x264 library is license/patent incompatible with HaikuPorts and canā€™t be included. Some 3-rd party repository seems needed.

2 Likes

The Lote.ru repository sounds like a perfect fit for your packages. I got Otter-MSE and Mesa 21.x from there ā€¦

4 Likes

Congratulations @waddlesplash!

Great news ! I hope waddlesplash will put some magic into Haiku !

Well, keep us all posted on it, if you would; or even keep us in the loop on its design and implementation. I have a few ideas that you may find relevant, and I imagine other Haiku developers probably would as well, besides the ones I briefly wrote up on Hacker News. (The ABI ones in particular I have some concrete ideas about how to go aboutā€¦)

Some of your personal wishes I also have on my internal TODO list and have for some time, but thatā€™s no guarantee of when Iā€™ll get to them, or when theyā€™ll surface to the topā€¦ but they are at least on my radar.

1 Like

You will be pleased to know this is probably higher on my list than just about anything else, as my main workstation these days is a Ryzen box connected to a 4K monitor. Already I did a first round of fixes last year when I got it, but clearly there is a lot more still to do.

13 Likes

The problem is not haikuports, the problem is keeping Haiku main libraries (in this case, media kit) not depending on GPL licensed code. This is easily solved by having two versions of the ffmpeg package, one with the GPL parts included, and one without. This makes it possible for people who wish to, to build a version of Haiku where there is less risk of GPL compliance problems. I donā€™t think itā€™s a problem if itā€™s enabled by default?

5 Likes

My R1 blocker bug candidates that can be fixed as part of contract:

This issues were not present in BeOS and it cause kernel crashes and instability.

9 Likes