Haiku in Virtualbox?

Network in VMWare works just fine - but you’ll want to change your .vmx file to emulate e1000 ethernet chipset (intel ipro1000) instead of the default vlance (amd pcnet32).

Then you may have to change from bridged to NAT or vice-versa (depending on your configuration) in order to obtain an IP address properly.

Is there any need to have a Haiku profile in virtualbox?
Having this would mostly stop VBox from not work right for people new to Haiku. Using the right virtual ethernet chipset right of the bat.

The only problem is the need to have “Guest Additions” working to have a os profile afaik.

Edit: Haiku sould be added to this page: http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Guest_OSes

Just a note:

When I converted the Haiku image to the VirtualBox 2.2.4 environment (that I am using on a Debian Etch 4.0 host), I discovered that the VBoxManage utility help-page shows the conversion syntax as:

VBoxManage convertfromraw haiku.image haiku.image.vdi

Actually, this forum message is being sent from a Haiku instance running on VirtualBox 2.2.4 on the Debian Etch host, so the conversion was successful! My host machine has a measly 256MB of memory, and yet the Haiku instance is doing fairly well, IMHO!

Just tried the Haiku pre-alpha image in VirtualBox. It’s a good news that you don’t have to convert the hdd image anymore. If you download the VMWare image, that just works fine (actually, older versions of VirtualBox were also offered opening vmware disk images, but it didn’t worked. now it does).

However my mouse has a kinda strange behaviour, sometimes I can’t move it to the screen edges, I think it can be a VirtualBox bug, or simply I should turn something on or off… Or don’t know :slight_smile: Anyway it works fine.

I just tried Haiku for the first time, in Virtualbox which seem to work fine. That is, except for the lack of network - here are no devices listed at all.

Since I’m totally new to haiku, I would love to get some good advice on how to fix that :wink:

Try using the emulated Intel PRO cards. The PCnet cards are unsupported.

Thank you that did the trick,

By the way, how do you handle the small vm ware image? I’m running the Haiku in VBox for now but the disk size is a little small, I plan to put a lot of devtools in there to play around with the API.

Are there any guides for doing all the steps with partioning and mounting? Perhaps I should get a new CD drive for the old P4:s instead…

EDIT: Ah, some more googling made me find out about the extra disk image, that will do for now

Haiku includes a partitioning tool under Applications in the leaf menu. It’s still lacking some features, but it should probably be enough to format the whole virtual disk into BFS. So I think using a CD image to install it should work fine.

Hi all, I’m running OSX, latest and VB’s latest build, running Haiku, Linux and ReactOS and QNX. For some reason, Haiku has no internet connection. I’ve re-enabled the adapter to NAT but with no success.

Any ideas?

Look at what The123king wrote, about 3 posts above yours

Alan