Haiku in media

Average user will not even try Haiku, if case they are not accustomed to BeOS. Or let’s be honest, average user will never ever touch their boot loader. Not-average-users can find their way around installing/trying stuff anyway. This particular YouTuber is doing an honest review, and increasing exposure to Haiku, so what’s the problem here?

That’s why we need better categorisation and featured picks in HaikuDepot.

Sure but the average user will watch a video on YouTube to get informed…

Did I watch a different video? Dan appeared to be quite impressed by Haiku and took the shortcomings in stride…

I don’t see what other categorisaton could be made to help here in any way. HaikuDepot has categories, pretty much all apps are sorted in categories, those categories are searchable. What’s missing?

The featured packages should be updated more often, granted.
But what’s really missing, and something that would make choosing the featured apps easier/automatic: users rating apps.
Instead of complaining that there are badly working apps in HaikuDepot in the forums, people should rate and write a comment in HaikuDepot. Few do…

4 Likes

No of course not…
But Dan, his name?
Is looking from a very retro point of view, which Haiku does not belong too.
He was looking for BeOs specific things 20 years ago!
He was not looking close to, what Haiku is now! Much more modern and advanced.

Dan did what interests him, and if that’s retro then that’s his focus. I’m just saying that he was not disappointed. Though, rereading what you wrote, I may have misunderstood when I tried to interpret what you meant with “he is just an example how to disappoint user into trying Haiku.” Maybe you meant Windows/Linux/Mac disappointed him, so he tried Haiku and loved it.

29 posts were split to a new topic: Rethinking the UI of HaikuDepot

Just leaving this here… Currently BeOS nostalgia is one of the key driving factors of Haiku marketing, it’s a plus factor, but I am not 100% sure it will do good in the long run. Haiku marketing efforts should also focus on leaving the BeOS legacy behind, and drawing a certain line between BeOS name and Haiku.

Haiku looks like the continuation of BeOS, and to a technical degree it is, but at the same time it is not a continuation of BeOS, it’s an original operating system written from scratch. If Be, Inc. were around, I’d agree that the legacy would be somewhat important, like Mac OS is to macOS or Windows 95 is to Windows 10, but we shouldn’t have such requirements.

1 Like

You make a lot of good points, however I doubt that BeOS nostalgia can really be de-emphasized in Haiku marketing to the degree that you’re suggesting until perhaps post-R1. That is, unless more features planned for R2 are pushed earlier to R1. It could happen in the near future, but don’t count on it…

For R1 it comes with the package :). Post-R1 makes sense.

I don’t really agree on calling it nostalgia. Speaking for myself I used BeOS only briefly (maybe 2 years) and I expect a lot of people who joined Haiku later never did use it.

There is some BeOS legacy in Haiku, sure. But it’s not about nostalgia, we are well aware that BeOS wasn’t perfect, so we pick the good ideas from there (and elsewhere) and build a modern OS trying to go in a similar direction, something that no one else has really achieved so far.

The marketing is usually in that direction: acknowledging the link with beos, but focusing on what we try to do: an operating system designed exclusively with desktop/laptop computers, with a consistent user experience, good integration between different apps, and low latency (usually marketed as “fast and lightweight” or similar)

9 Likes

Lunduke has some words on Haiku again. It had an hiccup during the video but he seems to be overall enjoying it.

1 Like

That was a fun video. The way Brian described that idea of a personal OS brings back my memories of using BeOS and why after 20 years I am still involved in Haiku. Also feels like of the alternative OSes, Haiku is the most viable and stable. I sometimes get overwhelmed with all we still have to do but if you think about it we have come a long way, even if it has taken some time.

7 Likes

@victordomingos @leavengood and anyone else interested.

Is there any way to see this from inside Haiku 64 bit nightly (a week old)?

• WebPositive of course doesn’t play it
  • Otter does not seem to load the page even
  • QMplay2 doesn’t make it either
  • Nore VLC…

Any idea?

Hey, you can use youtube-dl which is shipped with QMplay2 to download the video, and then play it in the QMplay2 ui… no idea if they have a gui way for this though

~/media python3 /boot/home/config/settings/QMPlay2/QMPlay2/youtube-dl https://odysee.com/@Lunduke:e/ShouldIUseHaiku:1
[lbry] @Lunduke#e/ShouldIUseHaiku#1: Downloading stream JSON metadata

and then
/system/apps/QMPlay2/QMPlay2 “Should I use Haiku*”

or play it with whatever media player you want
(You can also install youtube-dl directly and then just do “youtube-dl $uri” on the commandline directly to get the video)

3 Likes

Thanks @nephele !
Didn’t know the manual way. Will try it.

Haiku is one of the recipient projects for The Icculus Microgrant 2020:

5 Likes

In-depth look at Haiku and a fairly recent one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dyJxcSmODI

2 Likes

OSNews wrote an article about @X512’s recent progress porting Haiku to RISC-V:
https://www.osnews.com/story/133440/haiku-developer-ports-haiku-to-risc-v/

Also here:

https://hacker-news.news/post/27129305
10 Likes

Another Beta 3 review: Giving Haiku Beta 3 A Try: Thoughts & Experiences - Marc Stuff

Summary

Edited: I removed that excessive quote from this post, hope nobody minds.
It deprives Marc from well deserved traffic to his site and also may lead people to believe he had nothing good to say abaout Haiku, when only reading this part of the review.

6 Likes