Haiku in endless re-boot cycle

Hi all,

My Haiku machine went into an endless reboot cycle. Can’t remember which hrev it is, but around late 2018 or maybe 2019 I think. The computer has been working fine for about a year or more. No changes were made on it when it started doing this. It started doing this after I manually rebooted it from the start menu today (it was running fine before I rebooted).

Anyway, it goes through all the splash screen icons normally, then the mouse cursor shows up on the blue desktop background, but nothing else is on the screen except for a small blank popup window. Then exactly 60 seconds later, it reboots automatically, then repeats. I noticed I can log into it via VNC, FTP, and SSH during the 60 seconds it’s booted. I was able to download a system log file via FTP before a reboot. It has the following three lines which repeat over and over in the log:

KERN: check_sense: Illegal request
KERN: ata 0 error: command failed, error bit is set. status 0x51, error 0x54
KERN: atapi 0-0 error: device indicates transfer error after dma

Does anyone know what might be causing this? Thanks for any help.

So afaik from the three lines of output you’ve shared it’s clear the system has an error bit set; I did a search and it looks similar to this https://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/6153

Maybe give disabling DMA in the boot options a try and see if this helps? Also check the disks if you have a Live DVD or USB.

Two things that come to mind:

• if you have a CD/DVD drive, try to un plug it and remove it from the computer

• as to the HDD, check in the BIOS that it’s used in AHCI mode, not in ATA/IDE emulation mode.

HTH

Thanks guys,

The problem ended up being that the partition was filled up, no more space.

Well, it should manage this better and show some kind of error message instead of just rebooting, still. Cam you open a bugreport about it?