Haiku host, WinXP guest, QEMU and networking problem

Hello,

I have a huge problem.
with the basic configuration (-net nic,model=rtl8139 -net user) my windows guest can connect to the host’s poorman webserver but it cannot connect to the internet. the -redir option doesn’t help, but maybe i’m doing it wrong? (no errors, but also no noticeable changes)
bridge/tap networking gives an “Device ‘bridge’ could not be initialized” error. the scripts provided on the qemu wikibook page don’t work in haiku.

my Haiku version is hrev49660 gcc2 hybrid
qemu is 2.1.2 from the HaikuDepot

as i can’t find any haiku-host specifict documentations on qemu

please help, i’m trying to get photoshop and other software to run with some kind of useable workflow

thank you

QEMU doesn’t configure the host as a gateway, nor does it do any bridge setup for you. You’ll have to do that yourself. Unfortunately, I’m not sure how that’s done on Haiku or Windows these days (last Windows use around 2006, 2008 or thereabout so maybe outdated). It’s pretty easy on Linux or Freebsd though :slight_smile:

Just now I see that you’re trying to use WinXP. Hmmm, that may be problematic. Maybe you could use the new Windows 10 Freebie? I think they’re distributing a freebie version of Win10 now (although it may be for the ARM arch).

I am running haiku guest and haiku host in qemu.

set the guest ip to 10.0.2.15

set the guest netmask to 255.255.255.0

set the guest gateway to 10.0.2.2

set the dns servers to match your host dns servers.

go on-line.

:slight_smile:

[quote=bbjimmy]I am running haiku guest and haiku host in qemu.

set the guest ip to 10.0.2.15

set the guest netmask to 255.255.255.0

set the guest gateway to 10.0.2.2

set the dns servers to match your host dns servers.

go on-line.

:)[/quote]

yes it works now. thank you :smiley:

Out of interest, do photoshop etc run at any reasonable (bearable?) speed?

photoshop cs5 ran at a good speed, as i can say from a test i made a long time ago, with haiku installed on real hardware and using qemu 0.8 from haikuware.
only problem was that the mouse would lock up after 5 minutes. i don’t have this problem with the new version, so it should work.
yesterday, i uploadet a screenshot running paint tool sai inside of qemu running haiku inside of virtual box (emulatorception :wink: ) on www.crassegames.com
double vm will make it slow but still bearable.

note:if you press ctrl+alt to release the mouse from qemu and click on it again, the vm will think you are still pressing ctrl. hit ctrl once to fix it.

today i will install a bigger harddrive so i can install haiku again and i will test everything i can. from software to games and searching for an easy way to transmit data.

if i get some new info i will update my homepage and make a new post

[quote=core36]

Yes it works now. thank you :D[/quote]

So “user mode” automatically sets up a virtual NAT’ted subnet …

Good to know.