Haiku has No Future | Haiku Project

I have finally found out how to get into the mailing list.

Well, so far I see lots of people telling the inc what they should be doing in forum posts. But I don’t see a lot of people offering to join the inc and actually help doing the things. So it’s a bit frustrating, because this has been the situation for years, I think the current members of the inc are well aware of the problems, but they don’t have time to make things better, they are just keeping the thing in life support.

Currently the inc is run by current and former developers of Haiku. Surely, they would be happy to have someone else, preferrably someone who knows what to do to run such an organization, taking care of it, and then, instead of doing paperwork and taxes and whatnot, they could write code for Haiku.

So, if you want to be really constructive, please do that. Send an email to the inc and offer to join the board.

I’m not sure I’m qualified to join the board yet, as I am quite new to the community and not at all versed in the way things are managed and organized around here, and also I don’t live in the US and am not (yet) knowledgeable in the administrative ways of the americans, but I’d be more than happy to help in any way the board would see fit, so they can concentrate on things they are better at.

I will therefore heed your advice and fire that email to the Inc and see what kind of help they might require.

Thanks for taking the time of fleshing out the situation as it stands, and let me reiterate that my intentions were not to belittle the work that has been done by the board members so far, but to try and find a more efficient way forward, if at all possible.

Having found myself on the board of several small NGOs for quite many years now, I know all too well the burden that it might represents sometimes.

I have already offered, on here, and had no response.

That’s frustrating.

But I shall send an email and see what happens. The reason I haven’t done so far is that I wasn’t confident anybody would read it.

I have sent an email offering my services to the haiku-inc mailing list.

I’ll see what happens.

Yup. This is where I personally see a future in Haiku lately.
We have a nice platform which could be extended in some neat + unique ways. Haiku is simple, under an “aggressively open” license, and ticks a lot of boxes for folks.

One thing we’re missing though is “better”. Haiku has to do things better in some areas to increase adoption. Being “just as good” isn’t enough anymore. BeOS was ahead of its time, but we can’t purely depend on that anymore.

Sure, Haiku has Rust, Libreoffice, Ruby, Bash, good network hardware support, NVMe support, virtio support, package management, etc, etc.

however; We don’t have hardware graphics acceleration, good VPN support, good printer support, good Bluetooth support, etc, etc. So why would people use it over Linux?

I’m currently working through making our uri handlers add-on based. What this means is things like WebPositive could (in theory) leverage things like native IPFS support (ipns://website.com, ipfs://Qagfssdfsdf…), blockchain domains, etc natively in-browser. This would be something we could do “better” for folks in the IPFS / blockchain world and maybe help adoption numbers a bit.

We already have an awesome native gopher uri handler (gopher://) written by @mmu_man I want to extend the idea of “plug-in based uri handler support” for some of the newer “peer to peer” tech which is under-served in the market.

Obviously this isn’t some silver bullet for Haiku, but baby steps are all we can do until our active developer + user count is up :slight_smile:

5 Likes

The Haiku, Inc. board doesn’t actively monitor forums for official requests. However I see your email to the Haiku, Inc. mailing list as of 1 hour ago. I’ll make sure the other board members see it.

These things take a little time, we recently (yesterday) got another board request so we have a small backlog at the moment.

Thanks for offering your help!! It’s definitely needed.

Hi Kallisti,

The email you saw was probably the one from xipehuz. I have now sent one too.

I am not actively looking to be on the Board, but I have skills that the Board needs, and which I am happy to make available.

Ah sorry, real names vs handles :slight_smile: are tricky.

Thanks!

– Alex

This post is old, but still relevant.
For me, future of haiku is on its retained 32bit compatibility and its probable ransonware robustness.
The other is only porting process.
I wondered any VM to simulate android, windows, ios and linux on to Haiku window. (in sandbox or contener)
About web, we could imagine an opened webrendering engine to translate html in graphical DOM rendering (and let the user modifiing rendering rules on the fly.

There is a port of WINE in the works for 64 bit systems. It won’t run 32-bit code on 64 bit Haiku yet though.

We have about the same level of resistance on this as MS-DOS: about none at all. The only thing securing Haiku users is that for now the OS is sufficiently obscure and unknown that no one will try to write a ransomware for it, but that is not sufficient at all.

8 Likes

if fact, perhaps a simple lock writing, with automatical file versionning could be usefull in several cases. (not only ransomware)

First of all, let me make clear that I believe Haiku does have a future. It’s been improving for many years and it won’t stop now.
Some users (like myself) express complaints, or their frustration, here on the forum, simply because Haiku is so different from other OS or because they are not tech savvy .
This is not ranting.