Haiku GUI requires window tiling

Haiku GUI window auto tiling

Should be controlled with mouse and keyboard.

It’s a useful feature, once you get used to it, you really miss it. Operation should be normal (as in other OS): sides and corners.

There is also a desirable keyboard shortcut “tile all open windows on desktop”.

Also, the “auto tiling new windows” option would be good thing.

Window tab should also auto slide if new window opens on top of already opened window.

2 Likes

See #18260 (Stack&Tile tile to screen edges) – Haiku

2 Likes

Haiku GUI requires window tiling

No, it doesnt, but why are you so shy? Write simply that you need it.

There is no need to be aggressive or passive-aggressive about this. Non-native English speakers may not always say things in the perfect and clear way, but we all understood (or guessed) what was meant.

5 Likes

No it does not. I’ve never heard anyone interpret passive aggressive as “not aggressive”, passive is not the same as inactive. For example a passive sensor does not mean “inactive sensor” and neither does it mean that in this context.

5 Likes

Passive aggressive is a massively traditional British way of behaving. That is to state something in a non-aggressive way, but that implies aggression. Like “I really would prefer if you didn’t behave like that”, but said in a matter of fact time of way with no emphasis. It actually means “stop doing that now, and if you don’t we will have a problem.” This is a nuance non-British English speakers often completely miss (and by non, I would say other nations that speak English as their first language also miss the nuance.) Sarcasm is often also used - like “Yes, PLEASE carry on behaving like that.” Not said in an aggressive tone, subtle, especially if you don’t note the sarcastic tone. This is why British people are always being interpreted as overly “polite” by North Americans, when we are being anything but polite. They are just not “in” on the “joke”.

2 Likes

There is no need to be aggressive about this. Non-native English speakers may not always say things in the perfect and clear way, but we all understood (or guessed) what was meant.

3 Likes

Nah, i did not wanted to start an ideology war here, @PulkoMandy have right, my comment have some agressive vibes, i agree but it wasnt my intention, i just simply hate if somebody states his own wish as General Global Truth. We are discussing here, so any idea should be grounded with arguments, simply stating “XY is required” should not be used here, from my POV.
But @PulkoMandy have right with the language barriers too.

4 Likes

While I’m sure many would love to read more about the strategies of culture war, please get back on track in this thread. See what I did there? I’m serious though, back on-topic…

3 Likes

Such things belongs to Absolute.
All other truths are personal.
And there is no other truth, only different levels of understanding of reality, again, a personal thing.

… What I’ve suggested is obviously my opinion, it’s my understanding of how a GUI should work on a modern OS (with additional Haiku features).

… I will add that “window clutter” was already a problem of BeOS: it required additional attention and actions.

… So what we could discuss here is what is the reality of that GUI. What is useful and how useful, what is effective and how effective. How to make Haiku’s GUI as user-friendly and efficient as possible.

If all the windows would just stay where they where last it would be much easier!

All windows should save their last position and size so we could use the tabs more efficiently!

1 Like

Before this thread has to be closed because it descends into yet another flamewar let me quickly ask an on topic question :wink:
I thought we already have window tiling, I use this feature quite regularly. Is the tiling feature the OP is asking for something else?

Yes, what he means (I think) is window snapping to left half of the screen when pulled to left screen border (snap to side) or windows being arranged so that they cover the screen completely (eg 4 windows one quarter screen each, three windows one on the left half screen, the other 2 a quarter on the right each)

3 Likes

I would quite like to have snap to side on haiku, it is much quicker to pull a window to a border than to meticulously arrange it.

Placement by key would also be nice

1 Like

Moving windows with the keyboard ok, would be nice.

The “snapping to side” could be something which was allowed to be enabled/disabled. It is annoying when you need a windows to be at just that position and Windows insists on attaching it to the border.

3 Likes

Window snapping demo:

Also, when pulling to the corners window should occupy a quarter of the screen.
A good example is how it works in Mate Desktop.

To avoid this, it would be possible to add some keyboard key press (Shift?) so that snapping does not work at that time.

Or that snapping with the mouse cursor only works with Shift pressed (this could be made optional).

Possibly better the inverse : moving with Shift ( or Ctrl, Alt or CMD ) pressed snaps to points/things. Moving without those keys presses would just move like a normal window.

3 Likes

Sounds good, but what about programs with fixed size window? They cause frequently an UI glitch or just don’t behave as expected.

1 Like

Yes, moving windows with the keyboard only would be great, too