Haiku Compatible Laptops

I wanted to know if there was any netbook or low priced full laptop that I could buy to run Haiku on. Does anyone know of any suggestions?

Thanks!

1 Like

My vote is for the Toshiba NB205 which seems to be replaced with the NB305 that now adds Bluetooth to the mix.

Reasons I choose it.

1. Keyboard, the keys are wider spaced than many other net-books and the gap between the keys helps in typing on smaller keyboard.

2. CPU. is an Atom 280N which is dual CPU. On Haiku there is a difference between the performance and that of the Atom 270N single CPU in most net-books.

3. Battery life, it is rated at ten hours. I rarely have all the power saving features turned on and I know that I am getting more than 9 hours of use with a full charge. I bet if I experimented enough I could go way beyond ten hours of useful like.

Since I don’t have a NB305 (the model on the market now) I don’t know if Bluetooth works with Haiku yet.

For more laptops check out:
http://www.haikuware.com/hardware/laptops

The Atom N280 is actually a single core CPU. It has hyperthreading (HT) which almost all Atoms have. HT improves performance of CPU by upto 34% depending on application (if multithreaded).

Only differences I see.
N270: 533 Mhz FSB, 1.60 Ghz
N280: 667 Mhz FSB, 1.66 Ghz

PineView is better to get for Intel netbooks.

Netbooks are meant to be compact, light, long battery life (4-9 hours) smaller screen with less processing power. Good for lugging around and lasting all day long.

Notebooks (laptops) are kinda heavy, bigger, battery lasts (2.5 to 3.5 hours), bigger screen with stronger CPU & GPUs.

The best way to know if Haiku will work is to boot the CD on the laptop in Live mode. That will let you see if network, keyboard, mouse and audio work. And what VESA resolutions are supported.

for netbooks, N450 & N470 are better choices because of Enhanced Speedstep, support 64-bit OSes, a better graphics card, lower overall power use, etc.

Atom CPU comparison
http://ark.intel.com/Compare.aspx?ids=43098,43517,46467,42503,36331,41411,

Sorry this might be kind of a stupid question because I am new to Haiku but is Haiku 32 bit or 64 bit?

The target for Haiku R1 is 32bit, although Haiku R2 will most likely have a 64bit version.

However delays are possible, as the Haiku developers want to break binary compatibility as little as possible. Haiku has to deal with the changes of GCC 2.95 to GCC 4.4, 32bit to 64bit and maybe from GCC to Clang/LLVM.

If you would like to talk to someone who can answer all of your questions you should contact this GSOC student: http://www.haiku-os.org/blog/nmentley/2010-04-28_gsoc_x86_64_port

I mention 64-bit Atoms in case you want to run 64-bit Linux or Windows. Haiku is 32-bit OS but work has started to create 64-bit version of Haiku.

Having a 64-bit Atom CPU will let you use it with 64-bit OSes later on but 32-bit code may run faster on the Atom.

A N280 or even N270 netbook is still fairly good and will run Haiku very well if you can buy one for a good price.

[quote=Earl Colby Pottinger]My vote is for the Toshiba NB205 which seems to be replaced with the NB305 that now adds Bluetooth to the mix.

Reasons I choose it.

1. Keyboard, the keys are wider spaced than many other net-books and the gap between the keys helps in typing on smaller keyboard.

2. CPU. is an Atom 280N which is dual CPU. On Haiku there is a difference between the performance and that of the Atom 270N single CPU in most net-books.

3. Battery life, it is rated at ten hours. I rarely have all the power saving features turned on and I know that I am getting more than 9 hours of use with a full charge. I bet if I experimented enough I could go way beyond ten hours of useful like.

Since I don’t have a NB305 (the model on the market now) I don’t know if Bluetooth works with Haiku yet.[/quote]

Is 1 GB of DDR2 RAM enough to run Haiku?

‘Is 1 GB of DDR2 RAM enough to run Haiku?’

apparently 64mb is enough!

Haiku uses less than 128 MB RAM for just the OS. 512 MB RAM should run Haiku very good. 1 GB RAM should let Haiku run excellent.

You should really test out Haiku in a virtual machine. VM is not as fast as real install but will let you play with and learn the OS better.

EDIT:
Tested with Qemu and could boot Haiku with 84 MB RAM (with OS taking 68 to 75 MB) but could not boot with less RAM than that. Applications had a good chance of not running or crashing with this low RAM. Someone had said they could boot Haiku with 64 MB RAM but I could not.

did you have virtual memory on?

That was with virtual memory off. Reason is, that if someone tries to install Haiku from CD they will not be able to turn on virtual memory to boot and run the installer. Also, if a person wants to run Haiku LiveCD they won’t boot with 64 MB RAM.

I only tested booting from SD card. I expect same results booting from CD or iso image.

Edit: r36924 gcc2 (non-hybrid)

I’ve been running Haiku on a Samsung NC-10 netbook since R1A1 was released and it’s been a great little Haiku machine. I’m now running R1A2 with no problems. It has an 1.6 ghz Atom N270 processor, 1 gig of RAM, 10.2" screen (NON-glossy, which was one of the main reasons I bought it) and a very nice keyboard. Originally I dual booted Haiku and XP, eventually nuked XP and used the partition to install Haiku nightlies, whilst keeping a known stable version intact. Hardware-wise, everything works with the exception of the webcam. Sound is not fully supported by the Haiku HDA drivers (internal speakers work, no output from headphone jack) but this is remedied by removing or unlinking the Haiku HDA drivers and installing the OSS drivers. One slight gripe is that I have to unmute a few things on the mixer after every boot to get sound (anyone know how to make the mixer settings persist?). One thing I do like is that the internal speakers and the headphone output can be switched on and off independently and even be fed different sources.

The only other issue I’ve had is a USB mouse hanging the boot at the 4th icon on occasion-I just unplug it to boot and then plug it back in.

Great netbook, highly recommended for Haiku!

If I were to get a computer without an optical drive, how would I install Haiku? Would I put it on a USB thumb drive and then install it from there?

Also, how would I reformat the built in drive so that I could put the Be file system on it?

Also, this doesn’t really have anything to do with a new laptop, but anyways: WebPositive will not run when I try it in a Live CD. Is this normal or do I need to make a new disc?

[quote=red mecca]I’ve been running Haiku on a Samsung NC-10 netbook since R1A1 was released and it’s been a great little Haiku machine. I’m now running R1A2 with no problems. It has an 1.6 ghz Atom N270 processor, 1 gig of RAM, 10.2" screen (NON-glossy, which was one of the main reasons I bought it) and a very nice keyboard. Originally I dual booted Haiku and XP, eventually nuked XP and used the partition to install Haiku nightlies, whilst keeping a known stable version intact. Hardware-wise, everything works with the exception of the webcam. Sound is not fully supported by the Haiku HDA drivers (internal speakers work, no output from headphone jack) but this is remedied by removing or unlinking the Haiku HDA drivers and installing the OSS drivers. One slight gripe is that I have to unmute a few things on the mixer after every boot to get sound (anyone know how to make the mixer settings persist?). One thing I do like is that the internal speakers and the headphone output can be switched on and off independently and even be fed different sources.

The only other issue I’ve had is a USB mouse hanging the boot at the 4th icon on occasion-I just unplug it to boot and then plug it back in.

Great netbook, highly recommended for Haiku![/quote]

Does the Wi-Fi work okay on this netbook?

[quote=augdawg09]
Does the Wi-Fi work okay on this netbook?[/quote]

It’s an atheros chipset and works well without encryption and - at least with one router I tested - also with WEP (via setwep).
One thing that’s not working for me are the Fn-key combos for monitor brightness and sound volume. Volume isn’t needed since you can control that with the system mixer. The brightness is adjustable while Haiku isn’t yet started. I always wait after the BIOS POST on the boot manager (XP/Haiku) and adjust the brightness there, before launching Haiku.
The nice thing: the BIOS POST takes about half a second! It takes my main notebook about as long pass the POST as it takes the Samsung to completely boot into Haiku…

Haiku won’t power down after shutdown via ACPI, but PowerStatus works and reports the battery status. Battery times seem very good, though I haven’t timed it yet, 4 to 5 hours seem no problem.

Regards,
Humdinger

Haiku uses less than 128 MB RAM for just the OS. 512 MB RAM should run Haiku very good. 1 GB RAM should let Haiku run excellent.

You should really test out Haiku in a virtual machine. VM is not as fast as real install but will let you play with and learn the OS better.

EDIT:
Tested with Qemu and could boot Haiku with 84 MB RAM (with OS taking 68 to 75 MB) but could not boot with less RAM than that. Applications had a good chance of not running or crashing with this low RAM. Someone had said they could boot Haiku with 64 MB RAM but I could not.[/quote]

I have another question regarding Wi-Fi in a VM with Haiku. Does that take the Wi-Fi from the operating system it is running on, or does it get its own? My desktop that I would be running it on has a non-Haiku compatible wireless card and I need to make sure if this will work.

Thanks!

With a virtual machine it’ll use the host’s network infrastructure. Just make sure it’s correctly configured and it should work.

Regards,
Humdinger

[quote=Humdinger]With a virtual machine it’ll use the host’s network infrastructure. Just make sure it’s correctly configured and it should work.

Regards,
Humdinger[/quote]

Thanks, Humdinger!