Haiku code sprints / BeGeistert meetings

These Haiku specific sprints were called BeGeistert back then and I really hope they come back. Will definitely use it for a SEN Sprint then and connect with you guys🤩
Great to hear of xmpp support and curious to check out Renga!

3 Likes

They were at BeGeistert rather than called BeGeistert; BeGeistert predated Haiku even existing - started as a BeOS conference/meetup in I think 1998.

BeGeistert 31 was the last one organised as far as I know, and I can’t quickly find any reports from it so I don’t know if it actually happened

2 Likes

The report on BG031:

Doesn’t feel like 6 years… But I’d be ready for another one. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

ah, how google has fallen when it couldn’t find me THAT when searching “begeistert 31 haiku”

For annual/semi-annual/whatever repeat frequency events, I find its best to pretend that 2020-22 didn’t happen so the gap feels smaller!

1 Like

Yeah true I was there in 1998 I think😌 but it was the name, the location was always Düsseldorf, and Charlie organised them.

1 Like

does the HSA still exist to maybe fund an event?

Ran into a video not that long ago made from one of the events, BG was always fun to attend. :smiley:

2 Likes

The HSA still has a website: HSA - Haiku Support Association e. V.

I think the main problem is that Charlie isn’t really involved in Haiku and has lost interest and moved on to other things?

We had a few other sprints after the one in Hamburg, I organized one in Toulouse (KDC | Haiku Project) and there was also one after FOSDEM 2020. Haiku inc can also provide some funding for these things.

The format can also be changed, usually these sprints were one week long, but shorter weekend ones like xmpp does could work as well. For the fosdem 2020 one there were just 4 of us, so we rented an airbnb, no need for office space or a conference room then.

Whatever the format, I’d be happy to join one again. I didn’t have an opportunity to visit fosdem since 2020 and organizing it in Toulouse may not be the best for everyone, maybe a more central european place can be found?

4 Likes

I’d suggest Vienna, but I may be biased;-)
Seriously though, it’s easy to reach, affordable and has lots of little coworking spaces to rent for cheap. Airbnb is also an option.

2 Likes

More than cily/location suggestions, I think we need someone to actually organize the thing: booking a venue, discussing with Haiku inc how much of the event they are willing to fund, identifying restaurants to go to for lunch and dinner if the place doesn’t have that included, …

This is all easier to do if it’s done by someone local.

For a 3 day sprint (friday + weekend) I would also have the option to host it at my employer offices. Then it’s free and I may even convince them to pay for pizzas.

6 Likes

Wasn’t someone trying to organise something in London? Maybe that was pre pandemic. I can’t really remember much about the details.

@adamfowleruk planned something, but then covid happened and later real life caught up with Adam AFAIK…

1 Like