Haiku Beta R4 USB stick freezes my old laptop BIOS

You can either:

• install B3 with your USB and then update the installed system to B4
  • use the physical disk in a virtual machine to install the B4
  • use the physical disk in a different computer either directly or using a USB adapter
  • probably there is many other ways…

Wait, wait … if you have a running Beta3 install, then you have a different issue than some of us …
In your case

1. I would create the USB using Rufus on a Windows machine as maybe install media had not created well !..

2. I would really, really check out BIOS/UEFI settings boot part – that seriously has affect on boot fails or not … I say it with experience …

If you want to boot / install / use 32bit Haiku - set CSM legacy and USB disk first in boot order – use dos partitioning – NO GPT !!

f you want to boot / install / use 64bit Haiku - set UEFI switch off secure boot, and set as USB disk first in boot order – you can use GPT disk partitioning if U want it !!

But for successful install you must copy – after install – the UEFI file from install medis onto EFI partitio9n you would use on this computer.

I you hav e a running R1B3 Haiku then you can upgrade from the live system

have luck !-

Actually,I had this same thought weeks ago. Just install Beta 3,then upgrade to Beta 4 from there.

But, how do I upgrade from Beta 3 to Beta 4 when I have these problems:

1. Ethernet port available but no LAN.
  2. Beta 3 cannot detect my wifi?
    Is there a way to extract just the wifi driver from Beta 4 and install so I can use WiFi, or is there a way to download the upgrade repository and transfer with a portable storage device then install?
    :thinking:
1 Like

put the beta4 medium on a stick, then boot beta3 and install the relevant packages using pkgman on the commandline

something like “pkgman install path/to/stick/packages/*”

Put the medium on USB stick as in after I already dd it then I direct the beta 3 update to here?

Not sure what you are asking.

Copy the beta4 image to a thumb drive,
then boot your beta3 install and use pkgman to install the packages that are on the beta4 drive.

Ok I will try that and see if it works. :pray: