Haiku backend in GTK/GDK?

Me wonders if the Pale Moon web browser can be ported to Haiku?

https://www.palemoon.org/

1 Like

There’s also browsh if you prefer for Firefox :smiley:

3 Likes

wow it can be compiled for haiku?

@3dEyes
Wow, awesome! Could you try with Geany and CodeBlocks? Geany is a very good editor and CodeBlocks is what student was taught to use to learn C++.

@mmu_man What’s the status of your CodeBlocks port?

It runs but has some issues codeblocks: new recipe by return · Pull Request #5009 · haikuports/haikuports · GitHub

As it seemed to be issue of wxqt, I think it will not be fixed soon. What about him join hand with @3dEyes to port CodeBlocks using the real wxGTK? I think it’s more feasible than relying on wxqt. But it could be just my wishful thinking :wink:

The Qt port has had years of development and is far more mature than a GTK+ port will be, whenever that is finally released. It would almost certainly be easier to just patch wxQt.

6 Likes

Any progress? Can immediate WIP results be published?

2 Likes

Anything new concerning GTK?

Not really. There was some discussion in this HaikuPorts issue about it, in which @3dEyes explained that his experiments are a hack that barely works (keyboard support, for instance, is totally missing.) I suggested that getting someone to write a SDL2 backend for GDK may be a good idea, as this will benefit other OSes and lighten the workload, as GDK internals are really not fun to work with.

I actually talked to a SDL expert who might be interested in such an effort, and he may start some kind of crowdfunding to take the project on. So, stay tuned for that, I suppose.

6 Likes