Haiku Autumn of Installation

I notice the multitude of topics relating to Google Summer of Code on this forum. There will be a lot of projects to integrate after the summer.

Which makes me come up with Haiku Autumn of Installation as a riff on GSoC (Autumn follows Summer, and once you have code you got to install it). Dark evenings will be drawing in making it an ideal season to mess about with computers, and have a big push to get it installed as widely as possible.

I see Haiku Autumn of Installation as a big publicity drive, possibly with its own logo and media pack. Maybe with pop-up installation “surgeries” where there is a big enough population. Ideally we would have a new beta for people to install. Haiku Autumn of Installation could be a good opportunity to challenge people to try Haiku and share their experiences.

Well, I think as a standalone event it is an interesting idea.

However to connect to present GSOC’s anticipated outcomes … it may be a bit boldly outrun of the possible end results.

Ok, I don’t wanna be pessimistic, and we have actually recurring participants with well enough knowledge and experience both development and with Haiku.

For whom who red more earlier GSOC development reports - for them not unknown the participant cannot reach the final goal as they met with an issue that they cannot resolve and run out for their planned schedule.

Or they finished, but to be usable for Haiku user - or integrate into Haiku - needs further activities which generally ordered at the end of their project , with classical sentences … “and if I have time for that …” “finally if I still have time before GSOC period ends…”

I think it is quite normal.
Participants got several things what they could gain during their project - in OS/app/service/driver development with guiding/ mentoring help from Haiku devs.
So they can gain experience in collaboration, co-operation, knowledge,
how to schedule the work, prioritize (even if they makes it wrong at first time) , possible tooling of development , debugging , fixing, etc. regarding technikal skills.
Also they can get : self -confidence – “I could do it!” “It works”

Haiku project also benefits, as there is an outcome which remains, even if it is not fully completed :

the source code…

That is(will be) available to further complete/finish/polish activities by other GSOC student or a Haiku developer – or a new contributor even … as we had seen in the past.

Like , for example,

→ XFS filesystem for Haiku ( GSoC 2018: XFS support , GSoC 2020: XFS File System , GSoC 2021: XFS support progress update , GSoC 2022: XFS )

→ BT stack ( GSOC 2007 Bluetooth + Haikuware Bounty 2008 )

→ Haiku on ARM (GSOC 2014 ARM PORT )

These comes from GSOC projects, and now still developed too … by new contributors, Haiku devs or even waddlesplash, the project’s paid developer, in case BT stack.

So, this Autumn Install sounds good, but not in direct connection with GSOC outcomes - they can arrive in Haiku or not … depending on their status and first possibly on nightlies.

I assume, more of us - who use Haiku as a daily driver -, more important to use it safely than to have all the fancy stuffs and fixes we can get with a new Beta only. Of course , except for those who has more Haiku instances, and at least one on nightly or accept the risks what can happen (some sh¤t) on nightlies … after an I-get-to-my-heart-what’s-not-why-not-working-again update ;-j

1 Like

I appreciate that not every GSoC project will be incorporated, rather my idea was a way to leverage the popularity its popularity for our own marketing campaign. Even us armchair (non developer) followers know about GSoC and what it stands for, and thus an introduction campaign that is a wordplay on the former might stick in people’s minds.

Autumn (Fall, if you’re American) is traditionally a time for bringing in the harvest, and perhaps also a great time to release a new beta. However as far as the latter is concerned, and as a railway enthusiast, I am wary that journalist Roger Ford’s third law applies: “Always mistrust schedules based on the seasons”.

1 Like