Haiku as an embbeded platform

Hi all,
I am new to Haiku or BeOS. But I’d like to test it for an embbeded audio application I wrote. I actually use nanobsd as embbeded platform and it works fine. Since, Beos is famous for multimedia applications, I’d like to compare it. Actually, this application use a custom hardware display so I don’t need for any graphical environnement. Before porting my app, I have some questions :

• What is the boot process in haiku (How services are launch)
  • Is possible to disable GUI
  • How to launch a new service whitout GUI

My goal is not to compare/troll Haiku vs FreeBSD vs Linux, I just want to find the best environnement for my app and learn more about Haiku.

Best regards

2 Likes

embbeded platform is meant like to use a mini pc or thin client?

I use a thin client for haiku at work. A Fujitsu a300 (52 euro) 1gb ram and 1gb flash card. I change the ram and flash card to 4gb ram and 4gb flash (ca. 50 Euro).

I never see a haiku without gui

Every new app are welcome

By launch_daemon. launch_daemon is first process started by kernel and it start services defined in config files located at /boot/system/data/launch and /boot/system/data/user_launch.

It is possible, but applications that use system messaging service (including media services) will stop working. System libraries (libbe.so) patching will be required to use messaging services without GUI. By default BApplication-based applications connect to GUI server (app_server) and terminate if connection fails. But GUI server is technically not needed for messaging service, registrar service is enough.

By editing or adding launch_daemon config files.

1 Like

Its also possible to boot Haiku without Tracker/Deskbar (the equivalent of Explorer/Start menu on Win, or Finder/Dock/Nenu bar on OSX). Ie. the emdedded device gets a blank screen or can run a full screen app with no user accessible “desktop”.